"Shit." He felt around the dent to see how bad it really was. It was smoothed over, almost invisible. About as perfect as it was likely to get. "I didn't see that before. What'd you do to it?"

"Fixed it," she said. Her teasing derisive tone made him turn his head. She gave him a smug smile and bobbed her eyebrows at him.

"No shit, Sherlock," he said.

"I'm what some people call brilliant," she said in a matter of a fact way. "But in all seriousness I used my super fast speed and when you weren't looking, boom, flicked it," she added gesturing with her fingers.

"You've a comeback for everything. Where'd you learn all this stuff anyway?"

"Oh, my dad," she said with a gentle smile. "He didn't get much free time but when he did he loved fixing up 'rust buckets' as mom used to call them. I loved watching him. He taught me everything I know."

"You guys were close?" he asked, seeming genuinely interested.

Bobbie took a deep breath and nodded. "It was just him and me for a long time," she said choosing her words carefully. "Mom died when I was twelve and after that he kind of lost interest in most things, me and him fixing up cars for one."

"That's tough," Han mused. "I'm sorry about your mom."

She nibbled on her bottom lip and nodded a little. "It was a long time ago. I worked through it. I just started doing my own thing with cars. Kept me out of dad's way, I guess." She paused to collect her thoughts. They were always muddled when it came to her parents. "What about you? Who taught you about cars?"

"My old man got me started on them but he took off when I turned thirteen," he said, leaning against the car. "I still hung around garages though, and in high school I hooked up with some guys that were into cars. Eventually met Toretto. I was a hotshot, thought I knew everything. He gave me a reality check," he revealed with a grin. "Ran with his crew for a while, until it all went south and I came here."

It was the most he had ever revealed about himself and Bobbie was fascinated, mostly because he was impossible to figure out and it was frustrating. Everything she had asked him over the last few days he had given only vague answers to, not explaining anything in detail. It was almost as if he didn't want her to know anything about him. And then this. She tilted her head, examining him closely and it made him smile.

"What?"

"Nothing," she shrugged. She turned away and took another drink of water. But he was onto her. He was that good at reading her. Or maybe he was just that good in general.

"I don't have a problem talking about my past, Bobbie," he said. "But details are irrelevant. I'm here now and that's all that matters. Better to leave the past behind," he concluded.

She looked at him. "I wasn't saying anything."

"You were thinking it."

"That a problem?"

"Nope." He casually shrugged. "I like that you're curious about me."

"Right back at you."

"Difference is if you don't want to share then I wouldn't force it," he said, remembering the night on the roof and the troubled look in her eyes.

"Excuse me, but I didn't ask you to tell me what you just did."

"I thought it was a good time to share."

Bobbie just smiled and shook her head. "You always been this way?"

"And what way's that?" he asked, dark eyes twinkling. "Handsome, sexy, successful..."

"Arrogant."

His grin widened. When he moved closer to her it wasn't his imagination that she drew in a breath. Her eyes were guarded as she watched him. One of Han's new skills was noticing when she felt uncomfortable about something. Like right now. Which he found strange. Considering how sexually aggressive she'd been with him since day one. He should've backed away but he was enjoying himself too much.

"What are you doing?" she asked as he kept coming at her.

"I'd like to change your opinion of me," he said. "If you let me."

"Losing the supercilious smirk would be a good start." The remark only made him do it all the more. And on top of the smirk he was staring at her and he didn't stop. It started to bother her. "And quit doing that," she bristled.

"Doing what?"

"The staring thing."

"Why would I stop when I like the effect it has on you?"

Arrogant sonofabitch.

Bobbie felt a sudden spark of nerves. The jangling feeling reminded her all too much of the other night. And she was right to feel that way because his hand came up to her face. "I'm holding a wrench," she warned him.

"That doesn't scare me." With his thumb he began to gently wipe away a smudge of oil from her cheek.

Bobbie felt the breath catch in her throat. These feelings made absolutely no sense. It wasn't possible for her to be attracted to Han, he wasn't her type after all; and it wasn't something she wanted to feel, but strangely she did. Since her arrival in Tokyo and meeting him, she hadn't been able to get him off her mind and it made her uneasy. She wasn't supposed to get attached, least of all to people she'd known just a matter of days; relationships weren't exactly her thing. Mainly because she sucked at them.

But no matter how hard she tried to fight it the heat from his touch sent tingles rippling down her back in slow, warm waves. God, this guy was good. His fingers curled around the back of her head and, damn him, she wanted to kiss him so bad. But just as his lips were about to touch hers the sound of a car horn, namely Twinkie's Hulk-mobile, cut through the air interrupting them, and she heard his sigh as he pulled back with a half-smile.

"Saved by the proverbial bell," he murmured, and brushed his knuckles over her cheek.

Bobbie stared into his dark eyes and wondered what was so special about him that made her so cautious and so curious. "Just as well, because I have an engine to fix," she replied as nonchalantly as she could. Without waiting for his reply she turned back to the car armed with the wrench and focused her attention on that.

"No worries. There'll be other opportunities," he said confidently. He thought he saw her hand stop for just a second before picking up the pace again. Han only smiled to himself. He turned and lifted his hand in a half-hearted wave at Twinkie and Reiko as they came inside. Could their timing be any worse? Then he disappeared up to the loft and back to his paperwork.

"Damn, someone die in here? Even God's waiting room ain't this quiet," complained Twinkie. Moments later the stereo was turned on and loud American hip hop blasted through the garage.

Normal order was once again restored.

_____________________________________________

COPYRIGHT. © ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Debra Jay. 2010