Chapter 9: Yami's Promise

Disclaimer: I do not own Yu-Gi-Oh! and/or its characters!

My feet would sink into the cold, wet sand as Yami and I would walk along the shore. Sometimes he would pick something up from the sand.

"You got something?" I would ask.

Then he would shake his head. The search for springs and other radio pieces was becoming really exhausting. But eventually, we had to repair the radio with these evil little pieces of iron. We would often find them in luggage that washed ashore. But most times they were too long, too short or too rusted.

A few weeks had passed on the island, but still we hadn't fully explored it. We hadn't had any other food except for coconuts or sometimes tiny crabs, so Yami and I had decided to explore the coast tomorrow, and maybe go into the jungle somewhere. But now I sat on the sand of the beach, watching the beautiful sunset. The colors were beautiful. I could see red, yellow, purple, and sometimes even a bit of green. It seemed like the sun was falling into the water, leaving us with the darkness. But I knew the stars would appear tonight. As a pilot, I could never get enough of the sky. I had looked at it dozens of times before. From when I was a small child until today. There were almost no clouds, so we were going to be able to see the stars tonight. I heard footsteps. A few seconds later he sat down next to me.

He nodded. "Beautiful."

"It is, right?" I smiled. "Always when I think I've seen every kind of sunset... the sun will again surprise me with new colors on new places."

"I could fall in love with the sight of it," Yami sighed. He turned his head to me.

"Have you ever? Been in love?" he asked me.

"Why would you ask?" I chuckled.

"Maybe I'm just curious," he said. "Oh, don't worry, I won't gossip about it with the coconuts. You can trust me."

I laughed at his joke. I just couldn't believe he was the same person as the one I had met on my first day on the island. But still I avoided his look.

I shook my head. "I'm afraid you don't have much to tell them," I chuckled.

"So, never? You have never even felt a little sting of Cupid's arrow?" he asked.

I shook my head. "I'm afraid not," I said.

"Nothing to be sad about," he said, and he looked a bit worried at me.

I bit my lip.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine," I said.

He made me look into his eyes. "I didn't mean to offend you," he said with a caring voice.

"You haven't," I said. "It's just..." A forced smile appeared on my face. "I have always wondered how it felt," I said. "To be in love with someone."

"Yugi, I-I..." Yami stammered. "I-Is that really one of your wishes? To be in love?"

Yami looked at me with two widened eyes. He seemed to be surprised, though he seemed to be worried about me.

"Let me tell you something," he started. "I promise that you will fall in love with someone, even if it's the last thing I'll do. I promise, I will do everything to get us home. So you can find that one lucky girl who can have the honor to marry you, Yugi. You will live happily ever after. I will get you back. I owe it to you."

I blinked a few times. "You owe me? I haven't done anything for you," I said, still a bit astonished.

"You have done more for me than I could ever have wished for. Your biggest wish is someone to love. My wish was a friend."

He sighed and looked at the sun again, which was now almost entirely disappeared.

"You made my wish come true. Now I'm going to help you make yours come true," he said.

"Did you really mean that?" I asked.

He turned his head. "You've become way more than just a partner to me," he said.

I couldn't believe he had just called me his friend. Despite I had felt like we were almost best friends since we swum together in the lake close to our shelter, he had never said it out loud. I pulled him into a tight hug. "Thank you," I whispered. I was moved by what he had said to me.

He placed his hand on the back of my head to pull me closer to his chest. "You deserve the best," he whispered before he let go. I smiled. I didn't know what to say. But it didn't matter at the moment. The stars had appeared.

Yami lied down on the sand and looked up so he could watch them. I joined him.

"Do you know them?" he asked me. "The constellations?"

"Not all of them," I said.

He pointed towards a group of stars. "See that? That one is called the Ursa Major, the Great Bear."

He seemed to be really exited about the stars.

"Now, if you look at the two stars in the Ursa Major that are most right, and draw a imaginary line between them... then you have to multiply six times the length of your fist and add that to the line... and then you will find the..."

"Polaris," I said. "The North Star, or Pole Star."

He turned his head, and so did I. He laughed. "You knew?"

I nodded. "I know that that's the Polaris," I said.

I looked him into his eyes. The bright stars reflected their lights in them. This was the first time I realized how beautiful they were. I could see all kinds of red, and sometimes even a bit of purple. His eyes were almost sunsets themselves. Absolutely mesmerizing.

"Of course you knew," he shook his head. "You're a pilot."

For some reason, I couldn't stop looking at his eyes. I seemed to drown in them, just like the sun had drowned into the sea. I had become Yami's victim.

"Everything alright?" he asked me as he realized that I wasn't answering.

"Of course," I said. "Everything is perfectly fine."

I didn't know whether I was speaking the truth or not.