Encounter

Knock, knock, knock

Thie same monotonous series of knocks rang throughout your house for the umpteenth time. Of course, this wouldn't have been such a bother to you if it was four in the morning.
Sighing, you finally gave up on sleep to at least see who was so adamant about leaving your front door.

Just peaking out the window, the man standing at your front door didn't appear to be hostile. He wasn't wielding an axe, for instance, just standing with his hands in his jacket pockets. Observing him closer, he appeared to be mumbling to himself, maybe a new neighbor introducing himself at four am. Or an axe murderer. Well, I guess you're about to find out.

You cautiously inch the door open, and stare nervously at the man, illuminated by a flickering porch light. He puts a hand out, expecting you to shake it, "Uh, hey, you probably don't remember me but uhh.."

You raise an eyebrow, "So far I don't, so refresh my memory please."

"O-oh, right, of course, I can do that," he keeps his hand extended, "Um, you kind of saved my life, and we met when you were the only one receiving my messages. Uh, you know, the astronaut who almost got possessed by alie-"

"Taylor!?" You push past his extended arm to bring him into a sincere hug instead, "I'm so glad you got out of there alive!!"

Awkwardly, he returns your hug, "So, you do remember me then? Well, that's a plus, but then again, how many stranded astronauts can you meet in a lifetime?"

"Three in a half," you mumble in response.

He pulls away from the hug in schock, "Wait, what do you mean in a half?!"

You only grin mischievously.

"Oh, right, right. I almost forgot about our delightful back and forths, well, it has been a few months since we talked last."

"Yes, and I'm glad you're adjusting back to regular life," you beam, "oh right, come in, please." Stepping back, you hold the door open for him.

Taylor peers in past you, cautiously, "That's really okay?"

"Of course, why wouldn't it be?"

"Uh, beats me," he rushes in past you, giving you room to slam the door shut and lock it.

You gesture towards the couch, giving him an okay to sit, "Do you want something to drink or-"

"No, no. I'm fine but thanks anyways," he lets out an odd chuckle.

You sit next to him on the couch, "What's so funny?"

He looks up at you, but looks back down at his hands, resting in his lap. A grin graces his features, "Even now, when I'm safe, and off that hellish rock, you're still helping me without a doubt. I really appreciate it, (Y/N)"

"Of course, I'll always help you, even off of that hellish rock," you continue, "I can't express how happy I am that I didn't get you killed."

"You're as humble as ever..."

You watch him intently, "I am curious of how you found my home address, though.."

Taylor's expression turns more nervous at this question. "Well, great, you probably think I'm creepy now," he sighs, and moves his gaze to your face, "..but I cashed in every favor I had to meet you, to thank you in person, and honestly, I didn't think I'd be this nervous."

(Y/N) lets out a laugh, "Did you not plan on timezones being a thing?"

He lets out a big sigh, "Well, actually, I just wanted to get here as soon as possible. I haven't even been home yet, actually.''

"Really? I'm guessing you had a thorough amount of scientific and medical testing to go through then?"

He nods, obviously glad he didn't have to explain that, "You guessed it. I'm glad that's over, too. And I'm glad I got to see my family again, and that I was able to meet you. Oh, sorry, I'm babbling, aren't I?"

"It's fine, I get it, it's a lot to take in," you pause, a thought coming into your mind, "Would you like to stay here tonight?"

Taylor goes completely red, "Errr, really? That's cool with you? Letting a stranger sleep in your house?"

"Huh? You're not a stranger though, Taylor, you're a friend, to me at least."

He looks up, shocked, "Wait! You're a friend to me, too! I mean, you saved my life, you're definitely a friend!!"

"Then it's a sleepover at my place with my astronaut friend."

He takes his backpack off his back and sets it into his lap, casually unzipping it, "Right, that's a totally normal thing to say."

"Where would you stay if I hadn't offered up my cozy couch?" You idly wonder.

"A hotel, so this definitely saves me some money. Uh, I'll use that to take you out to dinner tomorrow, uh, as a thank you obviously, err, if thats cool with you."

You stand up from your seat, walking back towards your room, "Who am I to turn that down? Bathrooms down the hall, and the kitchens through that door. Goodnight, Taylor"