Chapter 5

• Dedicated to To my older sister, Melissa and Heathr who have always made sure I know my place

When I finally pull myself from my thoughts, I realize that I'm still standing on the cracked, overgrown sidewalk, only a step or so away from the tinged brown door. You'd never have known that under all of the dirt and grime laid a clean, pure white door. I make a mental note to myself to remember to scrub it down to its original dirt free color.

Slowly, I pull my chain of keys from my pocket and unlock the door and step over the threshold. I'm careful not to wake my sleeping uncle. (Well, I guess he's not really my uncle; he's my aunt's boyfriend. He and my aunt Lexy took me in after my mother died six years ago.)

Quietly, I creep up the wooden staircase, the soft brown fibers of the carpet cushion my every step. I freeze at the fifth stair as I hear my uncle groan and shift to a more comfortable position on the baby blue sofa. I watch as he pulls his fuzzy burgundy quilt over himself and sinks into the comfort of the couch cushions.

Finally, after a few more moments of dead silence, the hoarse, raspy sound of snoring echoes throughout the house once more and I'm free to continue on my way towards the narrow hallway that leads to my bedroom.

"Good," I think to myself, relief flooding over my body. "If he would have found out that I'd gotten home late..." A shudder runs through me, shaking my bare shoulders from side to side. "Well, it wouldn't have been pretty." I finish my thought. I mean my aunt and uncle are really nice people and everything; they're just a little over protective.

Once I reach the top of the stairs, I turn to my left, walking down the hallway. On the wall to my left hangs a baby pink framed picture of my youngest sister, Kiara.

She's wearing a hot pink over the shoulder shirt that reads 'Forever Pink' and a questionably short black and pink plaid mini skirt that hangs well above her knees. She's leaning to one side, a hand is firmly placed on her overly pushed out hip, and the other arm hangs loosely by her side. Kiara's shoulder length, wavy brown hair is stick straight, curling slightly inward at the ends. A wide grin is stretched over her rosy pink cheeks; her perfectly white teeth practically glow in the flash of the camera.

I take a small step forward, the floor boards creak ever so slightly under my weight as I analyze the next picture.

It's a photo of my other younger sister, Caroline. She's staring randomly into the distance; a haunted expression is sketched across her features. She's dressed in an elegant, short sleeved white blouse and a pair of rather comfortable blue jeans.( I only know this because I borrowed them once without permission...) She's leaning against the wall, her posture is slouched slightly, making her usual lengthy figure appear a tad bit shorter than usual.

I scurry forward towards the next photo. I hardly recognize the young women staring back at me. She's wearing a shiny black tank top and a pair of well fitted American eagle jeans that flare slightly at the bottom hem. Familiar blonde curls are all brushed to one side of her face, exposing her makeup free face. A look of nothingness fills her eyes, as if only her body is present, free of her soul.

This was someone that I know, and yet know nothing about. This young, beautiful, innocent girl staring back at me from the photo was me I realized, staring intensely at those big blue sapphire eyes of mine. So full of shock and surprise, as if I didn't have a clue about what was going on.

This picture must have been taken shortly after my mom died, I assume. The way my shoulders are slumped in defeat and the ghostly white of my usually rosy pink cheeks confirms it. It was probably only a few weeks after her death. There were dark circles encasing the unders of my eyes, obvious evidence of many sleepless nights, and my ribs were all too visible through my skin tight tank top.

****************************************************************************************************************

Heeeyyy ya'll. Sorry its been so long. I've been kinda busy. But, anyways. so, so,so, i got the moves like jagger!!!!! lol and im really not sure where im going with this story yet, but whatev. im just gonna go with da flow. hahaha, well, ill upload again as soon as i can. Sankya,,, byzzzzzzzz. (No, im not a bee. hehehe. although, it might be kindof kewl to fly round like that. lol)

plzzz vommet, (just not on my writing. JKJKJK. VOTE AND COMMENT!!!!!!!!) Sankyaaaaa much,

-Kewlio chiker dudet dat u aint met. (Hehehe)

S girl.