Chapter 4

• Dedicated to To one of my best friends Jayna, who never has a problem making me laugh.

I jolt awake; the threads of the flashback no longer hold me captive in their grasp. My heart is pounding violently as I wipe away the warm tears still streaming down my rosy pink cheeks. Joshes smooth hands are strongly gripping my shoulders as he struggles to shake me awake. A look of worry is etched all over his features: his usual wrinkle free forehead is scrunched, his perfect eyebrows furrowed, his soft lips pursed with worry, and those eyes. Man, those eyes. So kind and compassionate, overflowing with never ending love for me. A girl could get lost in those perfect jade green eyes, especially an imperfect girl like me...

I'm snapped out of my inner thoughts and back into the realm of reality where Jayna is now leaning over me.

"Arianna. Arianna? Hello! Earth to Arianna!" Jayna's long slender fingers are inches from my face as she snaps them again, attempting to wake me from my black out.

"W-what?" I stutter as I struggle to remember what had just happened: flashback, criminal, mom, dead, the events of that horrid day come flooding back to me all at once. "No!" I sob, finally putting the pieces together. I throw myself out of the passenger door, needing to get away, needing to isolate myself from the outside world, needing to hide and never be found. I fall to my knees, the legs of my naive skinny's instantly drenched from kneeling in the marshy green grass.

"No! Why her? Why couldn't he have killed me instead?! Why mom?" I cry, shaking my head in my hands. I knew that someone had followed me from the truck, but when I finally lift my head to look up, I'm surprised to see that it was Josh who had followed me, not Jayna. He kneels on the dewy ground beside me. Hesitantly, he gathers me in his arms, carefully rocking me from side to side, as if I was a delicate porcelain china doll capable of breaking at any second. His arms locked around me are so light, so reassuring, I snuggle deeper into his embrace, and a hint of his aftershave lingers in the air, calming me.

My body no longer heaves with every breath I take, the memory is long forgotten as he helps me back up to my feet and wipes the remains of my tears away.

"Everything is gonna be okay." He assures me, taking my hand and leading me back towards the vehicle. "I promise." He opens the passenger door for me and lifts me inside, setting me down gently on the seat before closing the door and scurrying back over towards the driver's side.

As we slowly pull back onto the main road, the truck is filled with an awkward silence. We're all at a loss of words over my unusual break down. I Struggle to translate my thoughts.

"I-I'm sorry." I stutter, embarrassed at my out brake.

"Why? What on earth do you have to be sorry for?" questions Jayna.

"Well, I kind of freaked you guys out, didn't I? I know I freaked myself out..." I trail off, unsure of what to say.

"Don't be sorry!" it's Josh this time that responds first. "You can't help it; it was just a day dream." Jayna nods her head in agreement, the look in her eyes so kind and sincere, it makes me want to run into her welcoming arms.

More like a daymare relived. I think to myself. Living that horrid memory once was bad enough, never mind living it over and over and over again six long years later. A chill runs down my spine just thinking about it.

Finally, we pull onto my dusty gravel road. Instantly, the truck is layered in a thick coat of light brown dirt and soil, as if there was a sudden change in the atmosphere. Josh turns down my long winding driveway, skidding past my indecipherable sign that reads lot 93.

"Thanks for the ride guys, I uhhhhh, really appreciate it." I say, climbing down out of the dusty truck and slamming the door behind me.

"No problem bestie," Jayna assures me, rolling down the dirt speckled window. "So...I guess I'll see you on Monday then?"

"Yeah, I'll see you on Monday." I say. As I walk up my uneven crack filled sidewalk, I stop just short of my filthy white door and turn back towards where Jayna and Josh still wait in their vehicle. He blows me a kiss. Gingerly, I lift my shaky hand from my side and press it to my lips, imagining the way his soft lips feel against mine and the addictive tingling sensation that they bring.

Oh, Josh. I think to myself. Why is it that sometimes you can be the sweetest guy in the universe, and make me so flipping obsessed with you? Sometimes you can make me want to sing and laugh ad leap across a river of tulips and then other times, you can make me want to weep and tear my hair right from my scalp? It just doesn't make any sense.

Are you my Prince, my destiny, are you my happily ever after? Or are you just a part of my journey, an obstacle in my way that I must overcome that to find my destiny, to find the one person who really is my happily ever after?

"He's your true love..." whispers a deep, masculine voice in my head that most definitely wasn't mine. Again, the words echo through my mind, but more faintly this time. I swear there's something familiar about that mesmerizing voice, something I just can't comprehend, can't quite put my finger on, as if someone is trying to send me a message, someone I know.

Whatever, I say to myself. My mind is probably just playing tricks on me, I'm just hallucinating. I scorn myself for thinking such foolish thoughts, as if telepathy could actually exist. Humph.

****************************************************************************************************************

Well, that chapter was.... ummmm..... different. hahahaha. if u cud let me know what u think u wud rock my world man, i dont care u can write whatev you want, whether its just some random crap, or if u hate my writing, or if u love it, i wont get mad or nothing, hahahahahahahaha, and as you can probably already tell, im totally CRAZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZY!!!!! and i love to laugh. Vommet! (No, i did not just tell you to puke all over my book!) VOTE 'ND COMMENT!!!!!!! :)

Ttyl aligator,

Seren Vev.

Ps: the sky izzzz blue!!!!!!!! No! its purple!!!!!! And did you know that over 10 people are killed by vending machines each year? I know! crazy right? Hahahahahaha.