PROLOGUE

Christmas' Eve! It was the best of time in winter——the age of joy and heartfelt sharing of happiness. Everything in the city was coated with enchanting lights and Christmas songs. People were everywhere, enjoying each other's company with laughter and loud chattering. I smelt ice with the air around me and it felt so refreshing. I happened to love the winter season. However, a lot of memories kept on reminding me that I shouldn't be supposed to love the time when everything died on me. So it became the season of darkness for me.

I was lost. Or should I say, I had no idea where to go? I couldn't bear to see those happy faces from that forsaken house so I sneaked out of my basement room (which practically my bedroom) to escape from the constant mockery of the family who adopted me for some unknown reason. I'd never appreciated Harry Potter but when I found out we had almost the same situation, less the wand, wizard and magic, and flat-nose, I began to read the book. Although, I only finished five pages because I was too lazy to continue.

Anyway, I ended up in this situation due to a horrible reason. Long story short, my parents killed themselves after my twin sister's suicide almost four years ago. People sympathized with my loss but I still could hear their little conservation how insane my family was. It hurts to listen in to those strong accusations but it was more painful to know how factual it was.

My family was madcap, indeed- psychotic, in other words. Hence, they believed it was inevitable that I would follow their footstep and join the suicide squad. However, being the most insane one, I proved them otherwise and survived long enough to plan for my own independence after I graduate high school. I am not a coward like them.

Running away from Pearce Family tonight was my first attempt. I'd settled myself to stroll around the town but it only piqued me more to realize that I was the only one who felt unaccompanied. With a light puff, I hugged myself inside my leather jacket and kept on walking to nowhere. The snap of my winter boots against the greasy surface caused me to pace faster I nearly slip and fall on my butt.

After a while, I found a secluded spot on the bridge. It was the right place for me so I lifted myself up and just stood over the concrete railing with my hands inside my front pocket. I just looked ahead towards the lights of the city, thinking I should've brought my gloves but I was too busy brooding why my infamous cousin felt the need to paint spray my closet with big lettering of 'Home of the Dyk' without 'e' on its door, stating the obvious. He's the biggest jerk in my life, the champion of every spelling bee but I didn't let him get to me. Of course, I would get my revenge which resulted in an undying war between us. His name is Colton Pearce and we hated that we shared the same last name.

I was originally a Thompson but it was changed after my aunt and her husband signed those adoption papers. I just didn't know why they took me in because I could literally feel the hate every second I am in their presence. If they hate me, they should have let me in the streets and kiss asses for money. It was the question that kept on popping in my mind for some time.

Stretching my arms wide, I was about to scream my anger out but someone's panicky voice beat me to it. Dropping my arms, my head snapped sideward to see a short girl, looking at me in horror.

"Noooo! Please, crazy woman, don't do this!" the girl with jet black hair under a knitted band on her head screamed in alarm. Her knees were bent wide while her arms were raised midway, gesturing for me to stop. I looked at her puzzled, my body shifted sideways causing her to yell at me again.

"Oh my gosh!! Don't kill yourself!" she exclaimed, I could see her legs were shaking in edginess while her eyes widened in fear. I hadn't seen any eyes like that before. My ex-girlfriend had beautiful bright blue eyes but hers were more heartening and lighter. They were the most grayish eyes I'd ever seen- actually, it was my first time to see gray ones.