Chapter 43- Take my breath away

Start from the beginning

"Urggh." Harper grumbled to herself as she flopped her head into her arms. She was acting so clingy, he's a grown man for goodness sake she thought to herself. Eventually her attention picked up to the slight turn of the door handle before she heard following laughter as the woman exited before she shook his hand and then left. Harper pretended to be engrossed in the screen, her fingers flying across the keyboard even though on the blank note there was nothing following after. James shoved his hand into his trouser pockets, smiling as he watched the woman enter the lift, then turned to Harper. "When's my next meeting?" She was not going to bother to mention or ask what that woman was here for as she bit on her lip to supress the words that wanted to come out from her mouth as she flickered through the diary. James continued to smile enjoying the little hints radiating jealously off her, the redness in her cheeks and the complete manner not to give him eye contact as she answered him back. "You have a meeting in 10 minutes with Mr Pratt, a smaller firm that you're looking to buy out." James smiled. "Thank you, Miss Daniels." Before he walked off towards his office. Harper bit down on her lip harder as she finally let out a sigh in frustration. What was he playing at she thought. And who was that woman and why did she laugh? A old ex? Oh dam she thought to herself, she should have checked for any lipstick marks upon his collar or neck.

At lunch she left meeting Elliot in the canteen sulking as she flopped down opposite him digging her fork into the pasta. Elliot chuckled. "What's got you down? I wouldn't want to be that pasta." He jerked his chin towards the pasta, her eyes following not realising that she digging further down that the strain upon the plastic fork was near to snapping.

"Sorry." She muttered, her cheeks flaring red as she put her fork down. "I zoned out." Elliot smiled before taking a mouthful of his hamburger then added. "Well, you want to talk about it?" Harper shook her head smiling. "No, I'm fine." Then to prove she was alright, snatched a chip off his plate she took a bite.

"Hey!" He laughed. For the rest of her break, she continued to talk to Elliot, the surrounding crowds heading back off leaving only few left including them.

"So." Elliot said as he leaned back in his chair. "I was thinking of doing something again this weekend. Perhaps...a date?" Harper gulped, hadn't the others been a date or was Elliot now suggesting something serious. "A date?" She muttered, her words barely making use as she choked from the recent water she swallowed. Elliot nodded. "Yeah, I was thinking...well you know... I mean it could...be." He coughed before adding. "Or just our usual friend dates. You know?" The words coming more out as stutter. Harper pressed her lips together as her eyebrows rose slowly up as she glanced around the canteen for a second before her glaze pinpointed on James. However it was not him to be her knight in shining armour and recuse her from this awkward moment but rather he was walking towards a women, meeting her halfway with a smile before walking towards out to reception.

"Harper?" Elliot called out.

"Sorry. You were saying?" She smiled. Elliot shook his head smiling. "It doesn't matter." Harper had the slight suspicion he had saw where her glaze was following and felt guilty in instance. Then on top of that she felt bad for James playing as Elliot. "You know what, how about we go see a movie tonight?" She beamed, trying to hide the jealously that was rising. Elliot's eyes lit up. "Yeah?" Harper nodded. "Yes." Before she got up as she threw her rubbish into the bin. "Wait for me after work?" Elliot nodded as he followed getting up. "See you then." Elliot added before joining Harper as they made their way to the lifts and her glaze couldn't help to look down the towards reception where she hoped he would be returning but rather not.

By the time she had saw James again he was whistling to himself as he entered top floor not glancing once over to Harper as she could see it and carried on. His jacket was swung over his shoulder, his muscles much tearing for show even through the grey waistcoat he was wearing. Harper looked back down to her work as she continued to type as she wrote out the conditions for a contract, her fingers pressing much more aggressively down onto the keyboard with out a doubt. What had happened to the playful James this morning? Now he was acting like he had something to hide. And her patience was on loose ends.