_________________________

Eyes fixed on the rear-view mirror and constantly looking behind him Alfelt barked into the R/T demanding to know status.  With all reports in he breathed a sigh of relief not to have lost any of his men in the short violent battle.

A relief which was short-lived thanks to the call of Blue 3.  'Wolf Leader.. I am showing erratic revs and the engine temperature is spiking.  Am I leaking coolant?'

Alfelt swore looking back over his shoulder seeing a thin wisp coming from Blue 3's engine cowling.  'Blue 3.. yes you are.  Be prepared to bale out.  I will alert the rescue aircraft if you need it.  All Wolf flight, get back to base, I will escort Blue 3.. No arguments!'  He pre-empted what he knew would be the protests of others, particularly Blue 1, 3's flight leader, adding 'Karl how much fuel do you have?'

A begrudging response, 'My warning light just came on..'

'There you are then, I have more left.. now go.. that is an order!'

Alfelt gritted his teeth as he watched the others accelerate away dropping back to Blue 3.  A glance across to his left and he realised with a curse it was one of the new boys.  He flipped the R/T and spoke, trying to remain nonchalant 'So how was your first combat?  Shoot any of them down?'

The reply when it came was shaky, 'N.. no sir.. I'm sor..'

Cutting across the apology 'Ach don't worry, it was my third combat before I got my first kill.'  Searching his mind for a way to keep his charge's mind off the immediate danger Alfelt recalled the personal dossier that had landed on his desk.  'You are from Munich yes?  You were in university there?'

A pause as the young pilot processed the unexpected question, 'Yes sir, I was studying medicine at Ludwig Maximilian University..'

'You wish to be a doctor?'

'Yes sir, my father is a surgeon at the LMU Hospital!'

Alfelt smiled at the evident pride in the young man's voice 'Indeed, I am impressed young man.. and you wish to follow in his footsteps, yes?'  He could hear the relaxing tone as the breathing, at first harsh, began to slow.

'Yes sir, I wish to specialise in paedaetrics.'

Smiling despite the seriousness of the situation he heard the earnest enthusiastic tone 'Children.. well I will do my bes..' A frightened shout cut across him and looking back he saw flames begin to lick the side of the cowling and he bellowed 'Raus!!  Jetzt!!'  His pulse raced - it seemed for hours yet was probably only a second until the side opening canopy flipped aside and a figure scrambled out and dropped off the wing.

He watched nervously muttering 'Come on.. open the damned parachute.. open damn it!'  Chest pounding as the parachute opened fully and he turned his attention to the R/T calling urgently for the rescue aircraft to be despatched giving their position and making sure it was confirmed.  Diving toward the figure now floating below him in the sea he waggled his wings to signal encouragement, but swore as his low fuel light began blinking angrily at him and turned for the coast.  A worried eye stayed on the scene below until in the distance in front his eyes caught the glint of sunlight on metal and he made out the shape of the rescue aircraft on its' way to retrieve the stricken airman.

_________________________

Almost yawning his thanks Ashton stood and stumbled from the office, and as he did so his eye lit on the cratered remains of the fuel bowser and he swore, calling over a passing WAAF.  'Did LAC Lawford live on the base?  I should know that but..'

She interrupted him 'Excuse me sir, but you can't know everything.  No he lived in that house over there', she pointed to a neat cottage just over the boundary hedge. He nodded his thanks failing to reprimand her as they both knew he was about to have a very difficult conversation.  Before that he stopped off at the Squadron Offices and changed out of his flying gear, recognising that even if there were another scramble today he couldn't fly as there were no spare kites.  So he washed his face and made himself presentable to walk the short distance down the track outside the airfield to the Lawford's home.

_________________________

Approaching the airfield Alfelt extended the undercarriage and deployed the flaps, all too aware that the narrow wheelbase of the Bf 109 had thus far caused more deaths through landing accidents than combat.  As he slipped down toward the runway his speed slowed until with relief he felt the bump as his main wheels touched down followed swiftly by the tail wheel.  As the aircraft came to a halt he stopped the engine and unclipped his harness and canopy stepping out wearily onto the wing.  Dimly aware of the approach of the Station Adjutant he smiled wearily 'At least we didn't lose any today..'

He became aware of an uncomfortable pause and looked up sharply 'Was?  Nein..'

Major Garsteck sighed 'Yes.. I'm sorry.. Blue 3.. Leutnant Ritter.. got caught up in his parachute and drowned before the rescue flight could get there..'

A growl was the response 'Get me his personnel file.. now..'  he strode off towards the main offices.

Walking in Johann slammed the door of his office angrily, sat at his desk, burying his head in his hands.  A tap on the door broke his thoughts and he sat up straightening his jacket and running a hand through his hair.  'Herein!'  The door opened and a worried looking secretary placed the file on his desk and scurried out.  With a sigh he flipped it open to the personal contacts, and picking up the phone dialled carefully, and waited for the ringing.

After a few seconds it was answered by a female voice 'Hallo, Familie Ritter' 

Wincing - he'd hoped the father would answer - Alfelt spoke 'Spreche ich mit Frau Michaela Ritter?'

There was a pause and a slight sob 'Friedrich is dead isn't he?'  With a mother's intuition she hadn't even asked who he was and he replied softly 'Yes.. I am his commanding officer Major Alfelt.. I'm sorry for your loss Mrs Ri..'

She cut across his words 'It's not your fault Major.. it's this bloody war..'  There was a click and the line went dead.  He swore softly and replaced the receiver.

_________________________

As John raised his hand to tap the front door it opened and a blonde haired blue eyed boy rushed out 'Daddy!' before coming to a confused stop seeing that this figure in blue was not his father but someone else entirely.

A woman's voice called out 'Johnny what is..'  A petite brunette appeared at the door and upon seeing him her face fell.  Looking down at her son 'Johnny go back inside and play for a bit.. Mummy wants to talk to the nice man.'  He felt a lump in his throat at the reference to the person who she knew had brought her the worst possible news as 'the nice man' and swallowed, waiting for the little figure to scamper back inside.  She watched her son close the door behind him and turned to Ashton, asking softly.  'He's dead isn't he?'

'Yes.. the air raid about an hour ago.  He was moving a petrol bowser..' A sudden guilt assaulted him 'I orde..'

She interrupted him swiftly shaking her head.  'It's not your fault Squadron Leader.

It's this bloody war..'