Chapter 23: Standing tall

Start from the beginning

I open my eyes widely and look through the window. I see a yellow cab.

"AAAHHH!!!" I scream like a little girl happy to get a toy.

I grab my backpack excitedly and run to the door. I get outside, slamming the door behind me and run to the taxi, unbelievably rave to see that he didn't forget about me actually.

I see his face. It's the same face from the last time I took the cab. Same person. Oh my God, I'm about to explode of happiness. Calm down, Niall. Be cool.

The taxi driver gestures me to get on the passenger's seat. I open the door and sit right next to him.

"Hey, buddy!" The taxi driver tells when I'm in the cab. "You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to call me after Marco asked me to drive you here!" 

"Hi." I awkwardly reply, trying to contain my joy inside. "Yeah, well actually I didn't notice the first time you had left your number behind the address. I figured it out only yesterday..." 

"Aah it's okay!" He replies with a rusty voice, driving back off. "I thought it was completely unfair what he had done to you, Niall. That's why I left my number. I was thinking maybe you'd be smart enough to call me back and ask for help. Guess it worked!"

"Yeah, thanks for that." I reply.

The taxi driver smiles kindly to me and stares back at the road. My wooden house disappeared behind. Wow, it feels so weird. I'm leaving, I'm going back to London!

"By the way my name is Samuel." The driver says after a moment. "But you can call me Sam."

"Great." I reply.

I never really wondered if he had a name. Guess it'd be pretty useful if I need him again later.

"Your hair changed since the last time I saw you." Sam says, not leaving the road with his eyes. 

"Oh yeah..." I answer, rubbing my head and feeling the short hair scratching slightly my hand. "It's Marco. He changed my look so people wouldn't recognize me..."

"I'm sorry..." Sam says, giving me a sad smile. "I also heard about that letter they received and that the boys and the fans hate you now... It wasn't you, wasn't it?"

I take a gulp. The thought of the boys hating me, again. The pain is still there, eating me slowly on the inside. But no. They'll know the truth, stop hurting Niall. Man up.

"Absolutely not!" I exclaim, looking at my feet. "Marco wrote it so everyone would hate me... He also hired a new member to be in the band..."

"It'll get better, chap." Sam tells. "If you called me it's probably because you want things to change. It's a great attitude."

I nod gently. Yeah, I want things to change. I want to show the world how such a big lie everything has been. How I am still here...

We're now on a big road. I guess it's the highway. Cars everywhere. I mouth a little "wow". I haven't been out since so long, it's kind of surprising for me to see all of this.

"So, what have you been up to before calling me?"