...la venganza de amor...

la venganza de amor                                                                                                                             New Delhi, India

Sampat was listening to music with both his earphones plugged in. He liked listening to music in between his breaks. While he was lost in listening to the songs he felt as if he heard something in the song, which was not supposed to be there "no tomar el próximo trenno... no tomar el próximo trenno". The phase in a feminine voice repeated itself twice before the music continued.

Sampat knew Spanish, the phrase he heard was telling him not to board the next metro. Sampat did not pay heed to it, he had downloaded songs before and many of them had internet glitches like this one, sometimes parts of other songs automatically got recorded.

Sampat removed his headphones. He was already waiting at the station for the next metro. The metal carriage slowly moved into the station and threw its doors open to the public. People rushed in like a colony of ants and the doors closed shut.

Sampat got off from the metro. He was texting a client all the way. Sampat had to cross the main road to get to his clients address. Unaware of a car coming from a distance at high speed Sampat started crossing the road while texting his client. Suddenly, he felt a hard blow. He was lying flat on his back on the road, bleeding, a hoard of people had covered him, they were murmuring in whispers. Sampat blacked out in the confusion and pain.

Sampat could hear beeping monitors and clanking equipment. He slowly opened his eyes and with his hands, felt the structure beneath him. He was on a hospital bed. A drip needle was fixed on his left hand. A nurse was moving around in the ward preparing for a procedure. She turned around looked at Sampat and smiled, Sampat smiled back. She slowly started walking to him, reached his bedside, bent down and kept her soothing hands on his forehead. Sampat was waiting to here a concerned lovely comment but what the nurse said next made him grow white with fear. "incluso si usted ha tomado cualquier otro tren. Esto habría todavía que te pasó" saying the nurse gave a wicked smile. Sampat knew what she was saying. She had just told him that even if he had taken any other train he would have still landed here, in this hospital.

Fear rushed through every nerve of Sampat; he grabbed the nurse's collar and screamed out loud. "What are you guys doing to me? What is all this? You think I am a fool that I do not understand your game?"

Hearing the shouts coming from the ward, the ward boy and the doctor came running into the room.

The nurse was standing and sobbing in one corner of the room. As soon as the doctors came in she started weeping and speaking at the same time "doctor...I was just trying to comfort him but he grabbed me by my throat and tried to strangle me". On hearing this Sampat grew mad with rage and shouted out "She is lying.... She told me in Spanish that I would have still met with an accident if I had taken any other train.... she has been playing games with me since morning...she was the one who called me when I was listening to music".

The doctor's had addressed many cases of accidents before, they knew due to internal damages and trauma to the head some people had lost their minds in such earlier cases. The ward boys were instructed to hold Sampat to the bed as they prepared for a sleep injection.

Sampat kept shouting "I am not mad...you here me...I am not mad". His screams did not help him, the ward boys stabilized him and the doctor injected him with the sleep drug. Sampat's screams drowned slowly, his lips slowed down and finally he fell down involuntarily on the bed.

Sampat did not know how long he had been asleep but when he woke up it was dark all around. He could not see a thing. He tried to get up but his head hit something hard, which was covered with soft velvet. Sampat tried to push hard but to no avail. When Sampat actually realized where he was he started screaming and crying. He was inside a coffin; the closed space was asphyxiating him slowly. Sampat screamed and screamed but no one could hear him. Sampat was dying slowly and painfully he had no choice