Chapter 29 part A

Chapter 29:

       “Daisy should calve anytime now,” Travis told us at the breakfast table the next morning.

       “She’s such a booger calving. We will need to keep a close eye on her. She’s one of our best milk cows.” Mr. Cummings said as he shoved a piece of bacon into his mouth.

       “Y’all going to buy feed today?” Mrs. Cummings asked.

       “Planning on it, got a couple other stops to make too. There is a cattle sell that I’d like to stop in for awhile. Ya’ know see what they have.”

       “Mh-hm. Well y’all be careful.” Mrs. Cummings replied to Mr. Cummings.

       “Chevy, will make us obey.” Mr. Cummings laughed and winked at me.

       I stopped mid air with my bacon and then I put it back down on my plate. “You mean I’m going with you?”

        “Yep, Clovis, and John are going too.”

        “Okay,” I mumbled and then I looked at Clovis who groaned and smacked himself in the forehead.

                                                                                *         *         * 

       The truck drive was long, but peaceful.  Jonathan and Mr. Cummings were in the front seat while Clovis and I were in the cab. After about ten minutes into the drive I had laid my head on the window and closed my eyes.  I thought for a moment that I wouldn’t fall asleep, but that I would just rest.

       Next thing I knew the truck was stopping and I sat up way to quickly.  My eyes were blurry. Crap, I had fallen asleep! Jonathan, Mr. Cummings, and Clovis climbed out of the truck and I slowly fell out of the colossal truck.

       “Sleep good?” Jonathan leaned down and asked as we started walking towards a tall feed store building.

       “Mh… How long did I sleep?” I raised my hands and tried to smooth down my hair.

      “Basically the whole ride,” His smile made my footing stumble, but I regained myself before I fell. “Tipsy much?”

       “Shut up,” I mumbled and walked into the store and followed Clovis as he went to look at halters while Mr. Cummings placed the order.

       I saw a purple halter and I quickly went up to it and took it off the hook. It was perfect for Pegasus, perfect to go against her midnight color. I could just imagine it being on her as she ran in the night moonlight.

       A small whimper turned my thoughts away from the halter. I laid the halter down on the shelf and walked towards the noise.  Turning the corner of the aisle I saw a small fence encaging black and yellow labs.  My heart melted at the sight of their begging happy little faces.

       “Well hello there,” I smiled as I rubbed each one of their little heads, they bounced around begging for my attention, but one little puppy in the back caught my eye. It was defiantly smaller than the others and it had to of been the runt.  It laid quietly in the corner and looked up at me with sad brown eyes. Walking around the pen I went to where I could have access to the little runt. I ran my hand over its chocolate brown coat and it looked up at me with those brown eyes that turned my heart to water.  I gently picked the little girl up and held her in my arms.   She snuggled in close to me and licked my hand; before I knew it that little puppy had forced a giggle out of me as she continued to lick me.