Chapter 5-

Chapter 5:

    The next morning I woke up with the sun peaking through the curtains and laying on my face.  I turned over and groaned hiding from the sun’s perkiness. It was morning already? Couldn’t it have stayed away for a few more hours?

    I glanced at my watch and let my eyes adjust so that I could focus on it.  Ten o’clock. Good it is only ten.

    “TEN O’CLOCK!” I sat up with a start. I wanted an early start so that I could get to my destination with plenty of time to talk to hopefully my new employers.

    I ran and took a quick hot shower, and threw my hair in a pony tail.  I stuck a ball cap on my head to cover my wet hair. 

    I checked out and left the hotel wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with my trusty boots.

    Once I made it to the end of the pavement at the hotel I wondered how I was going to get to Ely.  I looked down the road and wondered which direction it even was.  I pulled out my map, but apparently my map was a little old. The street that I was on wasn’t even on the map.

     I saw a gas station sign in the sky but couldn’t actually see the store. I began walking towards it. 

     “What I’d give for an iPod right now.” I mumbled.

     Walking into the tiny country gas station I looked around and found a donut case.  I grabbed a donut and some chocolate milk.

     “You’re not from around these parts. Are ya darlin’?” The lady who was around her thirties asked, her hick accent very evident in each word that she said.

     “Uh… No ma’am.” I mumbled, placing my things on the counter to get rung up. 

     “Well where are ya’ from?”

    “Utah.”

    “UTAH? What in tarnation would you want to leave there for?”

    “I was ready for some new sights and I came to live with my aunt.”

     “What? Why? There ain’t nothing like the city life.”

    “All do respect ma’am. I hate the city.”

     “Well that’s a shame. Leaving the wonderful city and coming out to the middle of nowhere.”

    “Yes ma’am. Um… could you tell me which direction is Ely.”

     “Is that where your aunt lives?”

     Quickly thinking I mumbled “It is on the way.”

     “I see well if you just follow this road it will pretty much take you straight to it. How you gonna get there?”

     “Um… I will probably walk. It couldn’t be that far. Is it?”

     “Hon, that thar’ Ely is over an hour’s drive.  Walking would take ya several hours.”

     “Yes ma’am. Thank you for the information.” With that I grabbed my donut and chocolate milk and started walking to the door, but the lady quickly stopped me.

     “Wait one dog gone minute.” She yelled and then she sprinted to the back room.

     “What is she doing?” I mumbled as I waited beside the door.

     I heard muffled voices in the back room, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying.

      After a few minutes she returned with a man about fifty-five walking behind her.