Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

     He was so hot! He was wearing a plaid button down short sleeved shirt, jeans, cowboy boots, and a cowboy hat was placed on his head completely the picture.  Even though it was dark and cloudy I could tell that his skin was tanned from long hours in the sun.  He had deep brown eyes and looked so much like Mr. Cummings.  He had the same stern gate and firm jaw that had scruff on it like he hadn’t shaved in a day or two.  His hair peeked out under his hat that looked like midnight black.  His shoulders were broad and he was easily around six foot. 

    My eyes were glued to him. I just knew that he was an angel, but I didn’t think that long when he opened his mouth.

    “What the heck are you doing?” He whispered harshly.  I was sure he would have screamed, but he was obviously thinking of the longhorn.

    “Releasing her leg! What do you think I was doing?”

    “Rolling in the mud like a pig. Now get up and come help me pull her loose.”

    “Pull her loose?” I questioned in surprise.  How stupid could one be?

    “That’s what I said isn’t it?”

    “Pulling her loose would result in the barb wire would cut her leg to pieces! Now there is no way that we could get her to the barn with a lame leg now could we?” I question walking up to the fence away from the longhorn.  My hands were on my hips and my eyes never backed down from his stern gaze.  My eyes brows were pushed down almost meeting. 

    “We have to get her out now before we all get killed from hail or a tornado. Now pulling her loose is the ONLY WAY!” He screamed at me his hands were holding onto the fence between the barbed wires.  His face was so close to mine that I had to back away.   

    A long painful bellow arose from the longhorns throat.  I glared at him. She was scared and with him screaming it wasn’t going to help her at all.

    I glared at him and stood as tall as I could I met his deep brown eyes with my hazel ones and stood my ground. “FINE! You pull her and I will lift the fence. If you think that I am going to cross the fence and force her out of this wire then your…” A clap of thunder interrupted me it was so loud and so powerful that I wanted to scream. It shook me inside and out.  I was sure a flash of fear crossed my face, but I caught it in time before this idiot caught onto my weakness.  I had always been good at hiding my emotions.  Pain hurt but I’d hide it. Fear scared me, but I’d hide it.  Happiness or joy was always replaced with a blank look.  Tears were nonexistent.  I had learned to hide my emotions from the world. Emotions to me were a sign of weakness. 

    Squatting down once again I looked up at the guy and nodded my head at him.  I slowly walked while I was squatting down and kept my eyes on the longhorns hooves, glancing up I saw him take a hold of her horns, a jab of fear went through me as I watched him pull on her horns.  Now I knew nothing about longhorns, but this one seemed so sweet and so scared that I knew forcing her was not going to work and sure enough my prediction came true.

    Next thing I knew I was on my back in the mud once again and my opposite shoulder was screaming in pain.  This one hurt much worse!  The world spun around me, but after I blinked my eyes a few times and sat up I realized that the longhorn was freaking out.

    I quietly got up and once I was about ten feet from the longhorn I jogged to the gate and flew it open I jogged part of the ways on the opposite side of the fence.  I slowed my steps so as not to hurt her.  I gave the guy a look that said back off now or else, and luckily he did begrudgingly though.  I pointed for him to go around and lift the fence as I had done before.  He shook his head and mouthed ‘No’.  I gritted my teeth and mouthed back ‘NOW’. So much for his angelic greatness, I thought. I’m guessing he thought I was dangerous because he soon made his way to the gate and started down the fence row.  I took the lasso off of Rusty and began talking quietly to Slick.