Chapter 2

Clarke's POV

"Lincoln! What did I say?" I ask him when I see his whipped skin.

"Clarke. I can't kill an innocent person. No matter how hard the commander wants me too." He tells me confidently.

I sign reminding myself of the events earlier today.

"Lincoln! Tristan!" Anya flicks her finger at them. "It's your time to fight. Show the village who is the stronger warrior. We will not tolerate losers."

"Yes commander!" They say at the same time.

I worry about the outcome. I know Lincoln is an awesome fighter. Best in the tribe but Tristan is ruthless and will do anything to win.

They start walking slowly in circles, eyeing each other, putting their hands up for defence.

Tristan was the first one to attack. He threw out a jab to Lincoln's jaw but Lincoln saw it first and deflected it with his forearm. He then swung at Tristan hitting him in the nose.

Tristan growls and charges at Lincoln. He dodges a hook punch from Lincoln and tackles his Chest pushing him back. He then ducks down and sweeps Lincoln's legs making him fall to his back.

Lincoln coughs, making me know that the air was knocked out of him. Tristan gets up and goes to kick Lincoln but Lincoln, getting serious, grabs his leg and flips him to the ground. He then climbs on Tristan's chest and rapidly punches him until there was a pool of blood around them.

Lincoln gets up and stands still looking at his bloody knuckles.

"Finish him Lincoln." Anya says sternly.

Lincoln looks at her with wide eyes.

"I can't."

Every grounder surrounding them gasped.

"Then you will take his punishment." Anya then snaps and her guards take Lincoln by the arms to the centre of our village. As we follow cautiously Anya shows us the rope in her hands by easing it over her head in one hand.

"Brothers and sisters. Today we learn. We cannot be weak, weakness is what will get us killed against our enemy. At one moment of hesitation, your opponent can and will use it against you to either get away or kill you." She turns to Lincoln. "Remember its kill or be killed. Each lash will serve that as a reminder." Anya hands the rope to her guards and they tie Lincoln's hands so he is hugging the bear lonely tree in the middle of our village. The tree of justice.

I turn as they lash on him. Every whipping echoed in my ears. It hurt to see my best friend get tortured. I hear his muffled cries as the leather covered thin branch connects with his back. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5 whippings.

"It is done." Anya states and everyone disbands. I quickly run up to Lincoln, cut him loose and bring him to the medical house.

Lincoln is too nice to be a killer. I am gracious for it but the downsides are terrible. To be on the earth and live you have to be a killer. Male or female. It has to be done. They act all tough but the only reason they do it is because of our enemy's; the reapers, the mountain men, and A.l.i.e.

"I know, I know but Lincoln it hurts to see you get beat up because you can't do something." I turn to get some bandages after I just finished cleaning the wounds.

"It's not that I can't." Lincoln says. At this I turn to look at him. He is looking at his hands again.

"I have killed before you know this." He tells me touching the marks on his collarbone specifying how many people he has killed. "It's just hard. The look he gave me when I beat him. He knew what must be done and his light went out, his life flashed before his eyes. Clarke I can't kill some who had done no wrong."