Chapter 3 - Kan-Kan Dance

"Ouch!" I yelp in surprise at the unexpected pain I feel in my right arm. I rub the spot while trying to take the sting away.

"Sorry, Kan-Kan. I had to pinch you, to prove to you that you weren't dreaming." Ty said while putting his hands up in the air as if he was surrendering, which would be a smart move on his part.

I was about to scowl and glare at him until I heard him use the nickname he came up with for me from when we were little. He knew that I had a weak spot for it, especially since it brought back memories of us learning how to do the Can-Can dance when we were kids. It always cracked me up remembering how he had two left feet. He would end up stumbling over his own feet while trying to do the Can-Can. Ty was definitely not a graceful dancer. I'm not getting my hopes up on ever seeing him on screen for "So You Think You Can Dance" or "Dancing With the Stars."

"That was not necessary, Ty! Also, I wouldn't be so quick to say dreaming. This kind of feels more along the lines of nightmaring, if that's even a word! If it's not a word, I should get credit for creating a new word! After the bomb my mom dropped on me, I don't know how to feel. I want to scream, cry, pull out my hair, and bury my head in the sand like an ostrich, all at the same time. It's like someone just yanked the rug out from under my feet and just turned my whole world upside down in a really bad way." I said while biting my lip, whether to keep myself from screaming or to hold the tears in, I'm not quite sure myself.

"You know what makes everything better, Kan-Kan?"

"Enlighten me, Ty." I say with a sigh.

Ty stands up and then reaches down towards me. Grabbing both my hands, he pulls me up so that I'm standing in front of him. Looking me in the eye, he tells me with a serious and thoughtful look, "Dancing, like Can-Can Dancing!"

Then his whole face lights up with his smile that makes his eyes shine with happiness as he starts to hum the Can-Can song while doing the Can-Can dance. My frown slowly turns into a smile as I start to laugh at Ty for looking like a fool as he attempts to dance the Can-Can while waving around an invisible skirt and tripping over his own feet. I didn't notice the beautiful sparking lake next to us, the birds chirping before we started making so much noise, or the serene woods surrounding us. Instead I was focused on one of my best friends, a tall guy, attempting to dance all dainty while trying to act like a sexy Can-Can dancer and failing miserably.

Instead of crawling into a deep, dark cave of depression with the news that was dumped onto me, I felt better, as if a weight was lifted off my chest as I laughed. I jumped in next to Ty as I joined him doing the Can-Can dance and humming along with the song. It felt good to twirl around, do some kicks, and wave that invisible skirt. We tried to hum it faster to see how quickly we could dance.

When we joined hands while trying to do the kicks, Ty tried to kick his leg up a little too high and fell down on his behind, taking me down with him, so that I landed on him. It didn't hurt, if anything, we were both laughing so hard now that tears were streaming down our cheeks. If someone had stumbled upon us, they'd probably think we were crazy (and maybe we were a little crazy, but that's a requirement for being a teenager, right?), but it was fun and took my mind off my problems.

"Wow, I really needed that laugh after hearing the news my mom gave me." I tell Ty after catching my breath. We both sit up next to each other. I'm so thankful he always knows what to say or do to lift up my spirits whenever I'm down.

"I know, Kan-Kan." Ty said softly while studying me with his piercing blue eyes. He leans in to give me a much needed hug and I hug him back, like the way little kids hold onto their lovey for dear life.

"Thank you for always being there for me, Ty. Thanks for being so wonderful, but don't let that go to your head. The last thing you need is an huge ego where you can't fit through doors." I say starting with a warm smile and ending with a smirk.

"Anytime, Kan-Kan! You know I'll always be there for you, like the way we've always been there for each other pretty much all our lives. Oh and you know that I'd never get a big ego. Between Gabi and you keeping me in check and feeding me some humble pie, it'll never happen!" Ty said with a grin.

Ty looked at his watch. He then looked back at me, while eyeing me carefully.

"So we actually haven't missed too much school yet. How do you feel about heading to school?" Ty asks cautiously while watching me for my reaction.

I give out a loud sigh and think it over. I can't run away from my problems since it will probably just make things worse. I'll just have to take things as they come and day by day. Skipping school will only cause more problems for me, so I might as well face the music and hopefully it'll be Can-Can music since it makes me smile. Maybe it'd be good for me to go to school, since it'd be a good distraction to take my mind off my problems.

"Sure, why not? Skipping school will not solve anything, and I don't want either of us to get into trouble. No one at school knows about me and the Cupid Curse, so it'll be just another boring and quiet day. It should be a good distraction to take my mind off my new problems." I tell him with determination.

"Okay then! It's off to school for us!" He sings out. He's so silly.

We both stand up. I reach down and grab my bag. We both start walking in a comfortable silence back to our homes so that we can get to Ty's car so he can drive us to school.

We both get in the car. He focuses on the road ahead and on driving. I'm lost in thought as I stare out the window on the way to school as the town flies past us and I barely even notice it.

The news my mom gave me still doesn't feel real. It's just overwhelming to think about it all so maybe I shouldn't think about it. I'll just try to ignore my problems for at least for today. I think that sounds like a good plan. If I don't acknowledge it, it won't be real, right? At least I'll have a nice boring and quiet day of school to look forward to and to take my mind off my worries.

Besides, no one knows my secret, right?

What could possibly go wrong?

Author's Note: I apologize for the delay in updating! I was doing some traveling and ended up not having internet access. I am happy to say that I am back in town now and am trying to catch up on everything from while I was away.

If you are enjoying this story, pretty please consider voting for it on Twitter by tweeting:

#MyWattysChoice is Kiss Me Cupid by Sweetliberty79 @79sweetliberty https://www.wattpad.com/story/44256219-kiss-me-cupid-wattys2015

You can also feel free to retweet my tweets for it. You can vote on more than one story and more than one time!

Please feel free to follow me on Twitter: @79sweetliberty or at

https://twitter.com/79sweetliberty

I will follow you back! Also please let me know if you have a book that you'd like me to vote for. 

Thank you very much!