Chapter Twenty-Six- Patches

Start from the beginning

Eric stayed silent, pondering over the words that came out Max's mouth like spitfire. "I understand that you want to be with Adelaide and stick with the plan," Max went on, "but this might actually get us the lead we need. Until we get it, we can't break them up. Plus, there are only four more days until the third stage examination takes place, and five more days until the actual attack takes place. And their coming fast. You're going to have to deal with whatever is coming."

Eric sighed, "Fine."

Max nodded, "Now,let's go get a drink while things unfold. You need to unwind."

********

I was sitting at my desk in my room, writing all my tension away. The point of the pen pressed hard against the paper, creating smudges desperately wanting to get away from the firmness of the pen. Writing was my only friend at this time, since I had no clue where Eric was, and Lucas was out with Zeke again at the fence, checking on what has been going on with the Factionless and stuff like that.

I didn't know who I was more mad at; Four, for not telling me he had a close connection which was possibly a romantic one and not stopping the romantic gestures Tris acted out; Tris, for doing these things with my boyfriend; or me, for not realizing the connection and being irrational with this situation. I didn't even let Four speak for himself. I just ran off like a hurt schoolgirl. Then again, I was glad that I walked away from the situation. If we were to talk anymore, I think we would have taken each other's heads off. So, I decided that I would separate, calm down, and talk to him when I was ready.

So for the past few hours I sat at my desk, only getting up to get either a food or drink, and to use the restroom. Otherwise, I skipped lunch,which I regretted because my stomach killed me, and I only had a small bag of chips and a powder protein shake mix. Trust me, that's not a filler.

Two knocks sounded at my door, "Adelaide! Are you in there?!"

I sighed, putting down my pen and getting up.

"Yeah! Come in!"

I moved over to my bed, gently placing myself in the middle and propping myself up against a few pillows. About two minutes later, I saw a tough, strong figure appear in my doorway, a worried face looking at my blank one. In his left hand held two Coronas, and a rectangular, red box in another.

"Can I come in?" He asked politely.

I nodded, motioning for him to sit on the bed.

He made his way over to the left side of my bed which was closest to my desk. He set the Coronas and the box down before taking a metal beer opener out from his pocket.

"How are you?" He asked, grabbing one of the Coronas, using the tool to take off the bottle cap and passing it over to me before grabbing his and doing the same thing. I took a swig before speaking.

"I hope you don't insist on getting me drunk," I teased a tiny bit.

A light chuckle sounded from his throat, "Of course not."

A deafening silence came over us once again before he opened his mouth slightly.

"I'm sorry, Adelaide," he said, his tone full of forgiveness.

I sighed, "Before I forgive you, I want you to explain something to me."

"What would you like to know?"

"Why are you so keen on helping Tris? And what is your relationship with her?"

Four took a gulp of his Corona and set it on my desk. His body turned to face mine, scooting to get closer to me. "When Tris first came here, she was daring. She was the first jumper, and the one to approach me. When training began, she wasn't doing very well. She was weak, had no muscle whatsoever. However, she never gave up. I could see the determination in her eyes when she would stand in front of the punching bag. So, I started to help her little by little. It started out with her positioning, and then it moved up to paying close attention to her skills. Before you came, she challenged Eric by taking Al's place in front of the knife target, while I had to throw knives at her.