Chapter Twenty-One- Slipping

Lucas and I sat on the couch, sipping the peppermint tea he made for the both of us. No words were said due to the tenseness in the air. Particularly coming from me.

The events from earlier played in my head like a film. The fakeness from Jeanine, the serum demonstration, and the smile Eric had on his face when he shot Malcolm point blank. I knew that Eric had the ability to be violent, but I didn't think he could be severely hostile.

Right now I was upset with myself. Upset that I made the stupid decision to not only get involved with this plan, but to also have a death sentence along with it. Upset that the man I thought I liked just happened to enjoy killing innocent people, even though he didn't have the right information that was influencing his actions.

"Adelaide?" Lucas asked in a low voice that was loud enough for me to hear.

I shook my head, "Sorry, I was thinking."

"What about?"

I sighed, "Just how stupid I am."

Lucas's eyebrows furrowed. I guess it was unusual for me to say something like that. I always knew that I was intelligent, but this proves that even that has downfalls of its own.

"What's going on, Adelaide?"

I shook my head and looked down. I wanted to tell him, but at the same time I knew that it would end with his body being pulled out of the Chasm.

"Lucas, can I ask you something?" I asked, turning my head to look at him.

"Anything."

I sighed, "If you knew there was a situation that ended in people dying, what would you do?"

Lucas looked at me with a perplexed face, "Why would you ask me that?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why-"

Lucas was interrupted by the sound of the front door slamming. Rushed footsteps came through the door, and a shadow on the floor grew smaller. Both of us turned our heads to see a frantic, yet relieved Four. Once his brown hues met mine he instantly ran over and kneeled next to me, checking my wrists, my neck, and my face.

"You saw what happened?" I asked.

He nodded, "Zeke called me down after the simulations and showed me the footage. Eric didn't do anything, did he?"

"Nothing physical, even though I have to admit he does have a strong hold on my wrist."

Lucas chuckled lightly at my attempt to lift up the spirits, but it didn't work in Four's book. I understand why it wouldn't with his past with Eric. The jealousy, the hate, and the anger they had back then existed now, and everyone could see it.

"Anything mental? Emotional?"

I cringed as the thought of the conversation Eric and I had ran through my head. Mental? Maybe. Emotional? Definitely.

It looked like Four took that as a yes, since his arm nudged in between the armrest and body before curling it so his hand wrapped around to the front of my stomach.

"What happened?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I'm not supposed to-"

"Adelaide. I don't care if you don't want to tell us because it endangers our lives. Just tell us, and we'll all figure something out."

I looked over at Lucas.

"We have heard rumors," Lucas said, looking at me with concern.

"What rumors?"