Chapter forty-nine

Começar do início

"You will follow," he said, "or your former leaders and their scrupulous work will meet the same fate as Grim."

"Where are they?" some brave soul shouted. "What did you do to them?"

"They are safe," Joseph replied. "And so is their work. And so are you. Unless you refuse to show me loyalty."

The people looked amongst themselves, helpless and concerned for Azra and Eshan, the woman and man they labored for and adored. They knew the Dev's valued work over life. If something would ever happen to them, salvage their gatherings, for at least that could continue on. But the man before them had both. They were left with no choice.

Slowly, one after the other, as dominoes would fall, the people bowed.

And Joseph's reign began.

"Joseph preyed on the vulnerable to get what he wanted. Clever."

Tears shimmered in Jane Dev's eyes. "You are correct. I do not know how I could be so stupid, so dimwitted." Her long, thick fingers coiled into fists at her sides. "I am to blame for my parents' fall."

"Jane. . ." Passionately, I wanted her to know I sided with her, empathized with her. She was not an idiot, but a victim. However, some bits of her information conjured a stubbornness I failed to refrain from. "I don't mean to call you a liar but he sent you here, and he is anything but a fool. How do I know he didn't force you to tell this lie to us? If it is one?"

"Joseph says any servant of his is a servant of yours. That is why I am here."

My mouth hung open, incredulous. "You aren't a servant."

"No," she argued. "I am."

To prove it, she lifted the lids from the rest of the trays sitting on the dinner cart. A myriad of delicious smells met the ones already saturating the air. The food neglected to catch my interest. Jane and her acceptance of a life she was fooled into creating was much more compelling, saddening.

"Dri." Bruno eyed Jane setting up the silverware, most likely sharing the same thoughts as I. "She's telling the truth."

The pit of my stomach constricted then rolled, threatening to vomit. "No, she isn't. She's lying for Joseph."

"She isn't." Bruno proffered his hand, the band of his gold ring glittering. I hesitated, knowing what I would feel if I touched him.

"Your dinner is served, miss Adrian." Jane dipped her head. "But before you eat, I have a question for you."

My temple began to pound. Bile burned my throat as a wave of sickness pulled me under. I pivoted from Bruno's offered hand. "What is it?"

She peeked up through thick lashes. "Perhaps this will make you believe me. Everyone here knows we could use you to save my parents. Sir Joseph would do anything to keep you from harm. But you are the Daughter, and no one wishes to hurt you. However, we can fake it. All we have to do is retrieve a weapon."

"Fake it?"

It was not me who said it. Joseph joined us in standing, and by Jane's and Bruno's unoccuring reactions, I knew Joseph was not real.

A ragged sound choked my throat. "We can't," I rasped, and her face crumbled in disbelief.

"Why not?" Bruno raised his hands and spread his fingers in question. "This might be the only chance we have, Adrian."

"Tell them," Joseph said quietly. "Tell them I am listening."

"We just can't, okay? He'll know it's an act."