Chapter 2: The First Encounter

TThe next day Zaheer awoke with a thrill and exhilaration that can only come from the anticipation and eagerness of an exciting task. All through breakfast he kept thinking of her and various ways in which he could approach her. Zaheer's mother Sadiya gave him an enquiring look, clearly suspecting that her son was not his usual self. "Is everything all right?" she asked, "How's the new school?" "Everything's fine" Zaheer replied evasively, quickly finishing his breakfast and morning routine before Aarif's father arrived to pick him up. Five minutes later Zaheer bid salaams to his parents, and was on his way to school. Now that he was idle again, his mind could once again wander to Zahraa and the best way in which he could approach her.

As they arrived at the school, it was as if his Zaheer's duas were suddenly accepted. Right there, just in front of the school, Zahraa stood with a group of her friends. The school was situated at the end of a road with perfectly trimmed grass on either side of the street. It was here on the front lawns that the students hung out, only making their way inside once the school bell was sounded. As he and Aarif emerged from the car, he knew that this was his chance. "Introduce us", he told Aarif. "Come up with some excuse for going over there and then once we get there you can make the introductions." Aarif, whether due to his innate kindness or his amusement at Zaheer's infatuation, happily obliged.

Aarif was going to use some excuse of getting English notes from Zahraa's friend Miriam, notes he actually did need, but as they approached the girls their ears fell upon the conversation that they were engaged in. "Well I would much rather know when I was going to die so that I could prepare for it." said one of the girls whose name was Haseena. To this another girl, Hafsah replied: "No way, then you'd spend all your time preparing and no time living." The girls were engaged in the ever-old debate of whether it would be better to know or not to know when you were going to die.

As the girls continued their debate, Zaheer's gaze was fixated on Zahraa who was amusingly smiling at her friends yet uninvolved in the growing discussion. While Aarif got the English notes from Miriam, Zaheer plucked up the courage and went to stand next to Zahraa. "So what do you think?" he asked motioning at the girls involved in the debate. Zahraa gave him a puzzling look, clearly wondering why a stranger would question her opinion but she replied anyway in a calm and calculated voice: "Well, I have to say I'm undecided." There are ups and downs to both arguments really. I guess that whether you happen to know or not it really all depends on how you've lived your life and how well you've planned ahead for the next one." Whatever Zaheer had thought about Zahraa before now was multiplied by like a hundred times. "So you're smart and pretty." he said to her. Zahraa's cheeks turned an instant shade of red and all she could do was to ask: "How come I don't know you, are you new here?"All Zaheer had time to do was to reply in the affirmative because just then Aarif beckoned him to leave. "See you around", he said to her. And with that Zaheer left with a startled Zahraa looking on.

Hillside High, according to the brochure that Zaheer's parents had studied for days on end, was known as much for its scenic beauty as it was for its high standard of education. Deriving its name from its hilly terrain, it proudly boasted its beautiful view-looking down upon the city of Johannesburg. The school itself was a beautiful sight to behold; with crisp green lawns and immaculately kept classrooms. Zaheer, being the boy he was, was particularly impressed by the various sport fields, already looking forward to the many sports games that lied ahead.

Zaheer had not expected to see her again that day. As it was they were not in the same class and he therefore only had an opportunity to see her during breaks and before or after school. But this day happened to be one of those days when everything just seemed to work out well, and so it was to be that Zaheer and Zahraa both happened to have free periods at the same time- which wasn't as coincidental as it might appear since everybody still seemed to be in holiday mode. Zaheer was free because his English teacher had not yet returned from her vacation and as he and his classmates contemplated the soccer match they were about to play he saw Zahraa and her friends sitting at the far end of the field. She really was a sight to behold and each time he saw her, though he appeared suave and in control, his stomach did somersaults and his heart raced uncontrollably. Nevertheless, he brushed all of this away and prepared to immerse himself in unstoppable action on the soccer field.

There is nothing like a good dose of action packed adrenaline to clear your mind and Zaheer thoroughly enjoyed the trash talking, ball-chasing, leg-swinging action of a good soccer game. It was only his second day of school but Zaheer was already friends with everybody. This is the way it is for boys. No pettiness or minor squabbling, no nastiness and jealousy. You can make friends instantly just by being part of a soccer game and you can, without hassle, remain friends for life. All boys know each other and all of them are friends with each other. And while, just like with girls, everybody is ultimately divided into their own cliques, unlike girls, boys have sports as a common element that instantly and continually unites them.

While the guys were looking for more players to join their team, Zaheer walked over to Zahraa and her friends, his confidence rising with every step he took. But once he got there his confidence was quickly drained.

Any boy will be able to tell you how intimidating a group of girls can be. Always surveying you, always quick with remarks, a group of girls is like a pack of lions just waiting to pounce; one wrong move and you might not live to regret it. Zaheer, however, was determined. "Will you ladies do me a favour and hold on to this for me while I play?" he said holding out his hand which contained his keys and wallet. As he said this he looked at Zahraa, hoping that she would volunteer. Before anybody else could respond, however, Zahraa's friend Hafsah enthusiastically agreed: "No problem!" she replied, practically grabbing it from his hands. I'll keep it for you. The guys then screamed that the game was beginning and Zaheer was forced to leave.

Half time couldn't have come at a better time because when Zaheer glanced over at Zahraa he noticed that she now sat all by herself. In no time he was walking towards her thinking about what he would say. When he got there she was writing in a book and just barely raised her head to acknowledge him. "So where's all your friends?" He asked. "Gone to the tuck-shop." She replied. "So you're Zahraa?" he asked though it sounded more like a statement. She replied with a slight "yip, I'm Zahraa and you're Zaheer right, Aarif's cousin?" In this school everybody seemed to know each other as if they were all interconnected. Zaheer didn't bother to find out how Zahraa knew his name or what she had heard of him, but he did continue to make some mundane conversation with her regarding the school and other people he had met. He could sense instantly that Zahraa was well-spoken and intelligent and though she seemed interested in him- asking him various questions about himself, there was a sense that she was holding back as she somehow seemed distant. He could have sat there forever, just talking, but he was forced to leave when the guys resumed the game. "Nice chatting with you" he said as he began to leave. "We should do it again some time." Zahraa just responded with a smile, a smile that he knew could undo the firmest minds and break the strongest hearts.