Chapter 3

Chapter 3

•Wendy•

I opened a gate for the breath of the cold air that invaded my lungs.

It was getting dark and I would have to head home soon but I just loved the woods so much to leave it without a proper goodbye.

I relished the sounds of the leaves crunching underfoot.

Then I stopped.

A sound, smaller than any other mouse could make, opened up my acute hearing.

I couldn't quite make it out but it did seem human. I began to worry not knowing if somebody was hurt and not knowing what to do if so.

Tucking away the brush so I could see, I discovered the one making the noise.

It was a fairly large wolf, it's fur deep red, almost brown. It's whole body was riddled with large wounds to small scrapes. I wasn't sure if it had fallen down a steep hill or was mauled by a bear.

Both were native to this area.

As an animal lover, I didn't have the heart to just leave him there and die. Though I didn't know, he could have had rabies.

I figured his pack would come back and find him.

As I got up to leave he let an another whimper that crushed my heart. Not knowing how heavy he was I wrapped my scarf around his torso and began to drag him out onto the trail.

Every inch was agony for him. Branches prodding at his wounds and leaves scraping against his torn flesh.

At last he let out an howl that made me stop.

When I caught my breath I went to examine him.

He was beat up pretty bad, but would soon recover. I let out and exhausted sigh and sat down beside him.

Not thinking, I grabbed his head and put it in my lap caressing it gently.

That seemed to calm him down and soon he fell sleep...