I love him, I love him not...(Ghost story) - Part 4

Dear Diary

Sorry about the rude cut off last time. But so much happened...I can't believe it. I didn't know that Keith knew what to do when girls fainted. He must have been good at it though - everybody keeps staring at me. He's so...wow. He was a bit like a prince when he swooped in and literally swept me off my feet. Oh god. He's coming this way. Bye x

"Hey Belinda," Keith said casually, slinging himself into the seat beside her. She looked at him rigidly, trying not to let him know she was happy to see him. She didn't want to feel like this. Plus, he was sitting in Andrew's seat. Andrew, who could be coming any second, expecting to sit with her. "Listen, can I borrow your time?"

"What?" she said, distracted. She wanted to talk to him but she wanted to be on her own when Andrew got here. The inner torment must have shown on her face because he spoke quickly, putting her out of her misery.

"Look, I just need a little help with my maths. Maybe some other time but still. Please?"

Belinda felt her breath catch. Was he...he couldn't be serious. He was asking for help in maths. That he didn't need. He was lying, outright and it thrilled her a little that he was coming up with excuses to see her. She smiled once, in a way she prayed was dazzling. Not promising or agreeing to anything. But giving him something to go on, she hoped. She wasn't sure that she could say no to Keith.

"Maybe," she said slowly, her eyes glinting playfully. "But what do you need help with?"

"I don't know yet," he said, a smile lighting up his gorgeous face. "Maybe I need to double check certain parts but I don't want to tell you until you agree."

"Don't you mean 'unless'," she said dizzily, licking her dry lips. "You don't know I'll say I want to 'help' you yet."

"Are you saying you won't?" Keith said, looking worried. "Because, you know, you're the smartest person in our class. And you can't leave a bleeding heart alone, can you? And I'm bleeding here," he whispered, leaning forward conspiratorially. His closeness sent a raw shiver down her and she heard herself whimper, her eyes pleading with him nakedly.

Keith pulled away suddenly, abruptly. He looked up to see Andrew sweeping into the room, eyes livid. Belinda looked as though she was surfacing from a dream - a good one. He saw the way she looked at him before her eyes became hooded. Mission accomplished, he thought with brittle humour. He didn't know what was wrong with him. He needed her to want him if he was going to get Andrew but...he had never felt so cheap and wrong.

"Bel, hey," Andrew said with a calm that belied the livid light in his eyes. "Something up, Keith? Anything I can help with?"

"Not unless you can convince Belinda to help me," Keith replied, his own voice cool as icicles. "Because she's the one I want."

Belinda's breath caught again before she looked up at him. It looked like there was a kind of resolve in her eyes that could swing either way with her but he looked at them with unwavering innocence. She had to believe him or he couldn't get her to spend time away from Andrew.

"No, Andrew doesn't have to say anything," she said quickly, her eyes flashing around the room. "I'll help. Here, let me write down my house number and you can call me and arrange it. Okay?"

Belinda felt like something was going wrong. She had been in a happy world, joy spreading through her and now...she felt like she stood at the very edge of a cliff with the two boys on either side: one of them pulling her to safety, the other pulling her over the edge and into a terrifying fall.

Keith looked at her with a bouncy joy that made her forget that she was worried. He left, promising to call her that night and she smiled. Maybe she could have Keith as a friend...or more. Who cared what Emma said? And Andrew looked like he didn't know what had hit him. Maybe she would finally have two guys fighting over her...