“You will be attending these classes for an hour or two every evening for the next month. If you successfully complete assessments and tests then you will graduate. Freedom is a wonderful gift. Now I think we’ll have an early finish. You will need to read the first chapter of the book I have had sent to your homes, for tomorrow. Your first assignment is to take a tour of the town, and enjoy the wonders we have to offer. Class dismissed.”

            Sylvie watched as her classmates filtered from the room before she made her way to the front of the room where Henry was cleaning the board. She knew he heard her coming, but he didn’t turn around.

            “Excuse me, Mr Watts?” she said softly. “I wondered if I could ask you a few questions.” There was something about Henry that she found trustworthy. He had a calming effect on her.

            “Please Sylvie, call me Henry.” He turned around from the blackboard giving her his full attention.

            “Okay. Why were we adopted?” she asked hastily. She had found it odd that no one else had been curious. She had the strangest feeling that there had been more to her life before she woke up on the Island, though she didn’t tell Henry this. “And were we always this way? Vampires, I mean.”

            Henry looked at her thoughtfully.

            “You were adopted because vampires, like anyone else, want to be parents.”

            “Why did they choose me?” she asked. Her own forwardness startled her.

            “Well for many reasons,” Henry said, a smile forming at his pink lips. “Firstly they believed they could give you a better quality of life. All adopted newborns come from human orphaned backgrounds, so they knew adopting you would give you a life. Secondly people aspire for beautiful and successful children. That’s why they picked you.” Sylvie felt her cheeks flush, and a tingling sensation rocketed through her body.

            “Thank you,” she said, turning to walk out the door. Henry caught her elbow, and grinned.

            “Let me take you on a tour of the town,” he said. His eyes were warm. “I’ll have you home before one. That gives me three hours to give you an express tour.”

            “Okay, lead the way,” she said, trying to keep the grin off her face.

Sylvie was sitting in the brightly lit garden of the Lantern Inn, waiting for Henry. He had gone to buy drinks after he had taken on a quick tour of the town. She had fallen in love with the bustling atmosphere of the town. Luna Square had been Sylvie’s favourite place. It was jammed packed with colourful market stalls and it had smelled of incense.

            On hearing her stomach groan Henry had insisted on taking Sylvie to grab food but she had refused. They settled on drinks. The garden was full of groups of vampires laughing, arguing and whispering. They were loud and rowdy.

            Henry returned with two large glasses of thick red syrup. He placed one in front of Sylvie. Her stomach churned, there was something telling her that this was wrong. That she shouldn’t drink blood. Not human blood. But her vampire senses took over and the iron smell became mouth- watering. She watched as Henry guzzled his pint, she followed suit. The blood was thick and frothy as it slid down her throat. It left her with the sweetest taste in her mouth. She licked her lips and glanced down at her already empty glass.

            “Here,” Henry said leaning forward and wiping a finger at the corner of her mouth. His skin was soft against hers. There was blood on his finger from her mouth, she watched as he licked it off. He laughed. “You look mesmerised.”