Chapter 1

This is my first attempt at writing a full length novel, I hope you enjoy. 

Oh and the brilliant cover was made by @AyeshaShariq

Chapter One

The sky was painted in the darkest blue, flecked with tiny white dots and wispy black clouds hid the moon from the massacre below.

Down in the narrow cobbled streets there was a deathly silence as the dark shadows danced. It was a ritual. The predators would always catch their prey. They lived for the thrill of the chase, but the reward was just as enjoyable.

The full moon broke free and beamed down onto the bleeding streets. Everything was painted crimson. A faint cry broke the silence.

“Seize that girl.” There were snarls of excitement. It was now a competition, the winner took the prize.

“We take her back, alive.”

*

Rowan whistled to himself as he buttoned up his white doctor’s coat, and on checking his appearance in the full length mirror, walked out into the hospital corridor. It was his first day as a fully trained doctor and he was ready for whatever the night threw at him.

He pulled the small name tag he’d been given earlier that day out of his pocket and read it aloud.

"Doctor Rowan Stewart”, he grinned to himself as he pinned it to his left breast pocket. He continued down the dimly lit, blue corridor until he turned into the main reception area. The atmosphere here was a little sterner, and this reminded Rowan that now he had a serious job to do. He couldn’t beam a pearly, white smile every time a nurse or patient said his name.

He looked around the waiting room; only half of the navy painted benches had patients seated on them, most with minor injuries. Rowan allowed his charcoal grey eyes to scan the room once more before turning to the furthest corridor.

Since the very moment he had set foot in this corridor, Rowan had known that this was his calling. He thrived in the fast pace environment of the job. You could never settle and rest in a job like his; you needed to be ready for anything at any time. One day was never the same as the next.

Rowan stared up at the corridor’s sign once again The Rebirth Centre and pinched himself, just to be certain that, finally, this was really happening. As he started along the corridor he could hear one thousand sounds at once: the typing of the receptionists, and the tapping of their pens, the buzzing of pagers and the squeaky wheels of hospital trollies.

Five feet later Rowan found himself punching in the five digit passcode- it was one of the first things he had learnt as a trainee- and walking through the frosted glass double doors which led to the hub of the centre.

Here the walls were a deep cream, and the floor a vibrant white, it reminded Rowan of snow, though he had only seen it in books. There were people everywhere: patients, nurses, doctors, expectant parents and of course newborns. Each new birth had their own curtained area, which medical staff and parents could visit – only under the cautious watch of the centre’s guards.

The nearest cream plastic curtain to Rowan had been pulled open to reveal a once occupied bed; the sheets were unsettled and the pillow still had the indentation of a head. He ran his fingers through his black slicked back hair before striding towards the reception desk to get his patient list.

The receptionist, whose name badge read Monica, looked up as Rowan approached, her blonde bob swayed as she turned to completely face him. She was older than Rowan had initially thought, with deep wrinkles to the sides of her eyes and mouth. Her hooked nose made her face look like that of crows, as did her small, black, soul piercing eyes.