Chapter 12

After what felt like days in darkness Rowan woke up to the results of a vampire on vampire massacre. The room no longer looked as the drill hall had only an hour ago- he discovered this from his watch ticking away on his wrist- everything had been decimated

Blue mats laid torn and bloody about the hall, the wooden climbing apparatus which had once hung on the far wall and been ripped from its hinges and now rested awkwardly against the double doors. It was the door that Rowan had drugged Sylvie at. He gulped, feeling disgusted with himself all over again, and for the first time he sat up.

 Rowan flexed his arms and realised that he was no longer tied up; in fact he wasn’t even in the chair anymore. He had just been on the floor. Then a panic rose in him, if he wasn’t in his chair then where was Sylvie? He whipped his head about and sent out his hearing. Rowan almost calmed when he heard multiple footsteps nearing the hall. But without proof of Sylvie’s whereabouts he was on edge.

The door pushed open to Rowan’s left- he hadn’t even seen it before- and three vampires in blue jumpsuits strolled in, captives in hand. From behind them came another small vampire with flames for hair. Everything inside Rowan melted as he watched Sylvie enter the room. He tried to keep his eyes from her. She hadn’t seen him yet. He wouldn’t move, the others would know he was there. It was best to stay low for a while.

 Wailing echoed around the hall as the Resolvers pushed their captives to the ground. Rowan recognised the three in jumpsuits, Officer Roman Ruston, Collie Hurst, and his long-time friend, Bessie. He scolded himself; he hadn’t even know Bessie had joined the Resolvers. He made a quick promise to himself to socialise more before tuning into the scene in front of him.

 “He said it was okay,” moaned the white haired vampire that was being held down by Collie Hurst. “Please don’t hurt us, please.” Now he was crying. Collie kicked him.

 “I wish we could just kill the bastards,” she hissed, giving the boy who he recognised to be Kale another kick.

“No, we have to wait for Ansel,” Bessie warned, putting a calming hand on Collie’s shoulder. She looked aggravated at first but then her face pulled into a picture of calm. Bessie was able to influence calm and it came into its own in her job. “He’ll be here soon.”

 “Why should we? They didn’t wait to rip into Logan,” Roman Ruston grumbled. Rowan watched as the officer tightened his grip around Kimberly’s neck.

“Fucking children,” Collie said, though her face still read peace.

 “Let me go, I didn’t do anything. We didn’t do it,” Kimberly wailed as she tried to kick her legs at Roman. He was a heavy set man, and he remained unmoved. “I said let me go!”

 “Be quiet,” Logan said, kneeing the elfin girl in the back. She let out a yell but was silenced by Bessie who shoved a red cloth into her mouth. “Hey, Doctor, you can get up now.”

 Up until then Rowan had forgotten that he still sat on the sticky, now red, floor. He stood up swiftly, and nodded to the group. His eyes scanned them and linger on Sylvie. Her eyes grew wide and he noticed how tightly she was holding her own hands. He lifted his lips into a smile. He was disappointed when she didn’t mirror him, but he saw her eyes glittering.

 “How did you get involved in all this?” Bessie said as she walked up to him. She rubbed her hands over him, checking for splinters. “You shouldn’t be here.”

 Rowan felt his eyebrows furrow, “I came with Officer Ward.”

 This caught the Resolver’s attention and they all turned to face him. Rowan wasn’t surprised to see Officer Roman Ruston’s face had turned pink. He was angry.