Chapter one

Hi, so this is chapter one of Whispers of Summer...enjoy :D

***

Nick has never been one to be very disobedient. Yes, he can be quite the troublemaker when he wanted to, but never disobedient. He was like a golden retriever, when you tell him to sit, he sits. But I guess things can change when your best friend goes away to boarding school half way across the world. And I guess when you meet someone like Levi, a person can change. Nick, short for Nicholas, has been my childhood best friend since kindergarten. We grew up together, we know each and other likes and dislikes, we know each and others passwords for our phones, our passwords for our social media accounts, and even what time each of us we were born. Nick and I are practically like twins separated at birth. But I guess I don't really know Nick as well as I thought I did. So, when he knocked on my window at one in the morning, when he was not supposed to be back for another two months, I was quite surprised.

I opened the window and whisper yelled at him, "OH MY GOD NICK, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY TREE AT ONE IN THE MORNING!!"

"Shh!! Keep your voice low, Sam, I don't want my parents to know I'm back already," he says quietly, "and I need somewhere to sleep for the night...any chance you have space?"

I inhaled a deep breath, then exhaled and said, "Yeah, well, I s'pose you can crash here for the night," I shrugged, "but if my parents catch you, they'll have my head."

"Don't worry Sam, they won't," he says, climbing into my room, "and thanks, by the way, I owe you."

"You do know that I'm keeping count of the amount of times you said that?" I tell  him.

Nick walks over to my bed and flops himself on like he owns the damn bed. I just sprawl myself at the edge of it, horizontally.

He laughs and says, "Oh yeah? And how many times is that, Sam?"

"Oh, trust me, you would die if I told you." I tell him while climbing back into bed.

Nick crawls next to me and says, "Well, I've been keeping track of the amount of times you said you were coming to a party with me, which was, like, never."

He's been trying to get me to go to a party like a regular seventeen year old, but every time he asked, I always refused. Once, he said that he was going to kidnap me and take me to one, but I ran away until he found me hiding in the library...reading a book.

I sigh and say, "Nick, you know I hate parties, and yet you keep trying to get me to go to one. You know that's like trying to get a boulder to move, or, or trying to get a donkey to... eat from a well?"

Nick burst out laughing. He starts rolling all over the bed, clutching his stomach, signaling that he's laughing so much it hurts. He says, "Oh Sam, Sammy, oh you're killing me!! Make a donkey,"-laugh- "eat"-laugh-"from a,"-laugh-"well!! Hahahaha!!"

"Nick, shut up, you're going to wake up my parents!!" I scold him, "and besides, isn't that's what it is?"

"Oh Sam, poor naive, little Samantha Greene, you're so funny. But it's 'you can take a donkey to a well, but you can't make it drink,' so you see the difference there?"

"Ugh, whatever Nick. So, what the hell are you doing back home?" I ask.

"What? Don't say you didn't miss seeing this face everyday?" he does that thing with is hands where you use your hands and make a box around your face, it kind of reminds me of the models on the cover of Vogue magazines.

"You're so vain. But you never answer my question, why are you back so soon? What did you do, Nick? Who's life did you ruin this time?" I ask him.

"Aw, c'mon! It was just one time! Besides, it was a mistake! I don't go around ruining people's lives for fun, Sam. You know that." He states matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, I know. But, seriously, what were you thinking?" I say.

At the end of freshmen year, Nick decided that it would be fun to start a rumor. He made up a disease called monocalyptonitis, and told people that Sasha Peter had got it from dumpster diving two months ago. Sasha was the kind of the loner that year. Everyone believed Nick. Sasha became so sad and depressed that her parent decided to move state AND home-school her.

"I really don't know, Sam. I really don't know. And to answer your question, I got kicked out. Me and this guy named Levi." He says.

"Wow, what did you guys do?" I ask Nick. This is new, Nick has never gotten kicked out of school before.

"We threw this huge pool party while all the teachers and staff were sleeping. One of the dorm masters heard the noise and came to check. He got the headmaster and some asshole ratted us out! The rat was at the party too, but I don't know who. Headmaster Brown didn't want to tolerate our shit, so he kicked us out, plus banned us from ever returning. Can you believe it?" Nick finishes, then scoffs and says, "Like I'd ever want to go back to that hell hole. It's like a frieken prison, Sam."

I'm quite surprised that Nick was able to pull off a stunt like this at a very expensive, very strict boarding school, and all the way in England. I knew Brits were strict, but I'd never guess they were that strict. Wow.

"Wow. Wow is all I can say, Nick. Wow." I say.

"Thank you, thank you everybody," He does his best impersonation of Elvis Presley. I've got to hand it to him, the boy does the best Elvis impersonation by far. Heck, he sounds better than the King himself. "Sam?"

"Yes, Nick?" I wonder if he's going to profess his undying love for me. Yes, I'm secretly in love with my best friend. Who wouldn't be? Nick, whose perfect floppy blonde hair so soft you'd feel like running your hands through it all day. Nick, whose perfect green eyes so green it's the color of fresh grass. Nick, whose perfect lips look so soft and pink and kissable. Nick, whose perfect in my eyes. Nick, whose eyes have me mesmerized right now, so mesmerized I'm lost in my own little Nick world.

"Sam? Sam! Sam, stop daydreaming, or night dreaming, or whatever floats you boat, whatever. Are you listening?" Nicks perfect pink lips move, but I can't make out what he's saying.

"Uh huh." I manage to mumble.

"Remember that guy Levi that I was telling you about?" he asks.

"Mmmn," I seriously need to form some words or Nick will get all confusey and suspiciousy eyed and stuff. I mentally snap myself out of a dream where Nick and I are sitting on a porch, holding hands and we're all old and scraggly haired and pruney faced, "Yeah, what about him?"

"Well, he kind of needs somewhere to sleep, too." Nick says nervously.

I'm quite confused now. Doesn't this Levi boy have a house or parents? What if his parents kicked him out for getting kicked out of that boarding school? I wonder. So I ask, "What do you mean?"

"Well, he kind of lives in England and now he is here, in America and he kind of needs to sleep somewhere because he doesn't want to go back to his parents because they will be very angry and can he sleep here?" Nick says that all in one breath. Lungs of a swimmer, I guess. But wait, what?

Hi...so I know this first chapter is quite short and stuff...but I will try to write more in the chapters to come. Thank you

Saiyuri ♥