Mum

I pull up to my house and walk through the front door to find my mum and see what she wants. No one seems to be around until I walk into her room and she's sitting on the floor sorting through tons of papers.

"What're you doing and what did you need?" I say

"I'm trying to find some old pictures and while doing so, I found something you'd like a lot," she looked at me and smiled as she picked up something and hid it behind her back.

"What is it?" I get excited.

"Here," she hands me a box.

It's a simple heavy-duty cardboard box that is about the size of a jewelry box. I open it and there lies a gold band.

"What's this?" I ask.

"It's your grandfathers wedding band, I thought it was meant for you, Harry," she smiles.

"This is so nice mum, I love it," I hug her and examine it more closely. There's an engraving in it that says "Love Lives Forever". I hold the ring close to my heart and take a deep breath.

"Your grandfather always told me to give it to you when he passed and when you were old enough to not lose it," she stands up with a photograph in her hand and hands me that too.

"That's me and him," I smile at the picture.

"You were only 8 and you had just eaten 4 slices of cake at Gemma's birthday party, unknown to you that you'd be throwing up your guts later," mum laughs. I chuckle at the memory.
"Keep the picture too," she says.

I put it in my wallet and mum walks out to the kitchen to start dinner.

"Hey mum I'm sorry I've gotta go out again, I was in the middle of something when you called," I put my coat on and grab my keys.

"Oh, okay, will you be home for dinner?" she asks.

"I don't think so, I think I'm staying at a friend's house tonight," I say.

"Well then at least pack a toothbrush and a change of clothes, Harry," she turns to face the stove and starts to heat the pot of water she just filled. I grab a shirt and pants from my room, along with my phone charger.

"See you, mum," I yell as I walk out the door to my car. I pull away and drive into town.