Chapter 1

A/N: updated as of 4/28/2020

Rachel pulls her car into a parking spot in the lot outside a two-story building in the middle of New York proper. The exterior is suspiciously nondescript, with no indication of the debauchery undoubtedly taking place inside.

"Let's go!" she urges me and slides out of the car. I follow her lead, sighing. This club—The Midnight, according to the large neon sign—isn't normally my kind of scene; I'm more of a tea-by-the-fireplace girl. But this club isn't just any club. It's a fetish club.

As we cross the parking lot, I evaluate what I know about it (which is next to nothing). Apparently it's the most exclusive fetish club in New York, catering to every desire imaginable. People come here to connect and score some action, I guess. Not that I'm into any fetishes, of course, but Rachel dragged me here to celebrate our 18th birthday today.

"Okay, so the first floor is basically a regular club and the second story is where all of the real action goes on," Rachel informs me, wagging her eyebrows at me as she says the last bit.

I shake my head, nervously shifting my weight from one foot to the other. "Rachel, I'm not going to do any of that...stuff. I'm just here to support you."

"No, you're here to support me and have some fun yourself," she contradicts. "It's your birthday today too, you know." In spite of myself, I smile at her. Rachel's been my best friend since the first grade when we found out we had the same birthday. We can never stay mad at each other for long.

I take a deep breath as we approach the intimidating steel-plated doors and adjust my top. I don't want to seem cheap—especially not here—but Rachel insisted on my outfit, which consists of a white crop top and a red plaid miniskirt. "Do I look okay?" I ask her faintly.

She rolls her eyes. "You look perfect as ever, hun." Then she grabs my hand and pulls me forward through the doors and into the club. I'm only aware of my racing heartbeat and shaking hands as we pay our entrance fees and hang up our coats in a small dressing room. 

I'm not sure what I expected out of the first floor but the normalcy I'm greeted with eases my nerves slightly. Instead of dim lighting, torture devices, and maybe some distant screams that my imagination cooked up, this area of the club is brightly lit with scattered tables and chairs that groups of people socialize around. A man in a leather vest walks up to us as we enter and gives us a friendly smile. "Welcome to Midnight's monthly open play night!" he says, handing Rachel and I flyers. "These are the club rules. Don't be afraid to ask the dungeon monitors if you need help with any equipment and don't forget to clean up after yourself!" 

Rachel quickly thanks him and then  pulls me over to a table by the entrance with a box of wristbands on it. "Oh, of course," she says aloud.

"What?" I ask, distracted and jarred by the sudden appearance of a woman being led around on a leash.

"These wristbands signify what you're into, so people can identify you easier," she explains, pointing to the writing on the box. "See, red is BDSM, purple is spanking, yellow is pet play, and so on."

"Which one are you going to pick?" I ask.

"Red," Rachel says confidently, snapping one around her wrist. "I know I'm always bossy but I want to try my hand at submission!" She giggles. "And for you, just reach in and draw one."

"Seriously?" I groan.

Rachel flips her long blonde hair over her shoulder and gives me puppy eyes. "Please?" she whines.

I groan again. "Fine." I close my eyes and stick my hand in the box, then pick one out from the middle. Opening my eyes, I see that it's pink and has DDLG written on it in elegant cursive.