Chapter 5

A/N: updated as of 5/28/2020

I wake up a few minutes before my alarm rings, for a change. Only four more days, I think to myself, and take a lukewarm shower to wake myself up. When I finish, I get dressed in a loose, flowy turquoise tank and a pair of black jeans, accessorizing with a set of blue and gold bangles on my left arm. I put on my usual makeup and head out the door, pausing only to grab my backpack and my car keys.

When I get to my friends' usual meeting place by the stairs, I take a spot between Alison and our other friend David, listening to the gossip being passed around. Although she made it yesterday, Rachel isn't generally at school early enough to join our morning shade-throwing. The warning bell scatters our group and I head upstairs to English.

First period isn't too bad; our teacher puts on another movie. However, I use the time to go through the DDLG tag on Tumblr, which proves to be an invaluable source of information. Of course, I'm hunched over my phone while doing this, trying to ward away prying eyes. Who knows what my classmates would think if they saw what I was looking at?

When second period rolls around, I'm surprisingly not the first person to arrive. Blair Hancock, the girl I hate most in all the world, is perched on my desk right next to where James is sitting behind his desk (wearing a smart white button-down with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows and dark-wash jeans, I might add), flipping her long blonde hair and batting her eyelashes at him. He looks distinctly uncomfortable, but I can tell that he's struggling to remain in control.

"Oh, Mr. Cartwright, I think I need some help with the Middle Ages unit," Blair pouts. "I got everything wrong on the last homework packet!"

James blinks slowly. "Be that as it may, Miss Hancock, there won't be any more history tests this school year so you should use the summer to study independently if you're really struggling."

"But I hate studying by myself! Mr. Cartwright, would you please tutor me? Just once?" Blair bats her eyelashes again and shifts her pose on my desk so her miniskirt rides further up until I'm sure that James could see her panties if he so chose. However, he keeps his mesmerizing eyes square on her face.

"No," he says firmly, his eyebrows pulling down slightly. "I'm sorry. Now, if you'd like to move your own desk, it looks like Miss Barrington is trying to sit down." Blair whips around and rolls her eyes when she sees me. Although I've never spent enough time near her to give her a reason to hate me, she seems to have a long-standing grudge against me.

"I didn't see you at Cecily's party last Saturday," Nikita says, giving me a huge fake smile. "Did you not get an invite or something?"

Cecily Harrenfeld's parties are the wildest and most legendary Chesterbrook affairs. "Cecily asked me to come but I had better plans." And I'd rather jump off the Brooklyn Bridge than go to a party with you, I add silently.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see James's lips quirk as he stares at his folded hands and tries to suppress a smile. Blair narrows her eyes, and apparently decides that I'm not worth her trouble as she doesn't bother to respond and slides off my desk. However, she tries shove her shoulder against mine as she passes, but I lean away to dodge it and she stumbles into an empty desk.

"Mr. Cartwright, did you see what that bitch just did to me?" Blair exclaims, her eyes wide as she looks around the room for other witnesses. Thankfully, the room is still empty except for us three.

James swallows and frowns at Blair. "All I saw is that you tripped, Miss Hancock. And don't call Miss Barrington—or anyone, for that matter—a bitch again." His large hands grip his desk so hard that his knuckles turn white. Blair huffs and goes to her desk, giving me a glare that could curdle dairy. I just roll my eyes and sit at my own desk. I'm not particularly concerned with any retribution as I don't rely on her for social status, so I shift my mental focus to admiring how James's shirt hugs his muscles. 

A few moments later, other students start to arrive and James calls roll before putting on a movie. I don't even bother to watch; I continue through Tumblr's DDLG tag. I'm finding great stuff, to be honest. I think that it's kind of starting to appeal to me, and I could have a lot of fun doing it with James.

Thirty minutes in, I get an unexpected text.

From: James

Message: I like the research you're doing.

I smile and respond.

To: James

Message: Don't you have something better to do than watching me explore kinks on social media?

From: James

Message: No, not really. And your facial expressions are entertaining.

To: James

Message: What do you mean?

From: James

Message: You make this face that's like a combination of surprise, pleasure, and intrigue. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else.

As I'm typing out a reply, I get another unexpected text.

From: Rachel

Message: are u rly texting James rn?

To: Rachel

Message: no comment

From: Rachel

Message: u guys would be the cutest couple omg

I put my phone back in my pocket, my cheeks burning, but I'm secretly glad that someone else thinks we'd be great together.

When the bell rings, James asks me to stay a moment.

"Would you like to go for coffee after school ends today?" he asks me once everyone's cleared out.

"Of course," I respond immediately. "Any, uh, particular driving arrangements you'd prefer?" Honestly, I'd like James to drive me because you know, he's hella fine.

He purses his lips. "How do you usually get home?"

"I drive, but since Rachel takes the bus, I'll let her drive my car home and she can walk to her house from mine," I think out loud. James nods.

"Miss Tyler lives that close to you?"

"Yeah. Why do you always refer to students as 'Miss' or 'Mr.'?"

James shrugs. "I like to maintain a formal front in front of my students."

I raise an eyebrow and decide to tease him a little. "A formal front? Like a façade? So you're not very formal outside of school?"

"Well, considering the fact that we're going to be entering into a DDLG relationship, I'd say probably not," James says, flashing his perfect teeth in a cute smile. "Now, get to your next class. Come to my room after eighth period."

"Bye, James," I say, and do as he says.

A/N: so today at school I got the Rock of Shame put on my desk during math I am v upset :((((( at least I didn't have to sit in the Chair of Shame. please comment and vote guys, and cOMMENT WHO YOU PICTURE AS LEXI IM NOT KIDDING IT WOULD BE V HELPFUL!