Chapter 20

Exam season. It hit both girls hard. Practical exams were draining. Rachel's throat stung like a bitch. Her muscles ached from the dancing and her eyes were stinging from all the pretend tears she was forced to cry as she attempted to demonstrate everything that was being asked of her. Quinn was feeling the exhaustion too, she may have not experienced the insane singing and dancing like her girlfriend but she was being tested on her acting ability very intensely. She also had written a written literature examination and a creative writing assignment which she'd neglected over the holidays. She wasn't as flustered and stressed as her girlfriend was. There was only so much revision she could handle whereas Rachel could continuously rehearse until she was blue in the face. January was literally a blur, after New Year, they'd spent a couple of days just relaxing at Rachel and Kurt's apartment before Quinn caught the train back to Yale.

This was her last weekend in Yale before getting the train to New York to see her girlfriend. She'd set herself a mammoth task. She needed to find a Valentine's Day gift for Rachel; one that would top the bracelet she gave her at Christmas. How on earth could she top that? She'd set the bar far too high. Her second option was tickets to a show on Broadway, but that really was her second option. She wanted something incredibly special. It was their first Valentine's Day together and while normally she hated it there was something so special about sharing this one with Rachel. She scoured shop after shop until her imagination finally sprang into life. She had the perfect idea.

Rachel had found Quinn's Valentine's Day present a few weeks earlier, she was very pleased with what she'd bought and she hoped Quinn would be just as happy; though she really doubted Quinn would say if she disliked it. Kurt was going home to spend Valentine's Day with Blaine so Rachel had decided to try and make the most of their weekend. She was going all out. She still had one whole weekend to wait though.

18:32 [Rache;]: 'Can it be next weekend already? xxxx'

18:35 [Quinn]: 'You have no idea how much I wish I had a Delorean. xxxx'

18:36 [Rachel]: 'Delorean? xxxxx'

18:37 [Quinn]: 'Rachel, please tell me you've at least seen Back To The Future? xxxx'

18:39 [Rachel]: '...no. xxxxx'

18:41 [Quinn]: 'WHAT?! xxxxx'

18:42 [Rachel]: 'Sorry baby. :( xxxxxx'

18:45 [Quinn]: 'I'll bring mine with me next weekend ;) xxxx'

18:46 [Rachel]: 'I thought you wanted me to watch it? ;) xxxx'

18:47 [Quinn]: 'I do... xxxx'

18:48 [Rachel]: 'Well if you watch it with me, I can guarantee we WON'T watch it. ;) xxxxx'

18:50 [Quinn]: 'You flirty devil, Rachel Berry. :P xxxxx'

18:51 [Rachel]: 'Can you blame me? I miss you! xxxx'

18:53 [Quinn]: 'I know, I miss you too. xxxxx'

18:54 [Rachel]: 'Can I call you? xxxxx'

18:56 [Quinn]: 'I'll call you soon, I'm just a little bit preoccupied at the moment. xxxxx'

18:59 [Rachel]: 'Oh. Okay. Speak soon. xxxxx'

Rachel put her phone down and tried to find something to do. Kurt was busy almost all day every day. He'd left his internship in favour of working at Vogue. He was doing magnificently in his job and had been head hunted to work exclusively for Vogue. He was still only a personal assistant but he got to see and be a part of so much more. Rachel was proud of him. She grabbed her laptop and began browsing for ways she could make next weekend that bit more special. Quinn was busy working on her Valentine's Day present for the diva. She couldn't say that of course because she would never hear the end of Rachel's incessant questioning about what it was. The task itself wasn't too difficult, it was narrowing everything down which was the tricky part. Quinn revised everything and began to dial the diva's number. She needed to hear her voice.