Chapter 4

I woke up at 3 in the morning to really bad cramps. I felt like someone was stabbing me in thestomach with a knife and twisting it. I climbed out of bed and collapsed to the floor in pain. 

"Mom!" I yelled as loud as I could manage. She came running in. 

"Sarah! What is it?'

"Mom," I sobbed, "It hurts so bad."

"Ya well you are going to the hospital and I don't want to hear any argument."

She helped me up and guided me out to the car. I layed down in the back seat screaming. The pain was horrible. On the way to the hospital my mom called Chads house and told him to meet us at the hospital. He was already there with a wheel chair when we got there. I was brought up to Labor and Delivery to be checked. I stood up out of the chair to get on the bed and I felt a gush of liquid.

"Oh my, I think I just peed my pants." I yelled

The nurse looked over. "How far are you?"

I was screaming in pain again so Chad had to answer for me. "She's 35 weeks. Is our baby okay. Please tell me shes okay!" he pleaded.

The nurse helped me onto the bed. "Well, for starters you did not pee your pants. If I'm not mistaken I am pretty sure your water just broke. And as far as your baby. I am sure she is fine but we have to get you hooked up to some monitors and get an iv started."

She strapped 2 belt looking things around my stomach and explained one was to monitor contractions and the other was to monitor Angels heart beat. She started an iv drip then told me that she had to check me.

"IT HURTS!!!" I screamed "MAKE IT STOP PLEEASEEE!"

Chad was right by my side with his hand on my forehead trying to calm me down. The nurse checked me and told me that I was 4 cm and asked me if I wanted any medication for the pain.

"AHHHHHHHHH" I couldn't take the pain. I was crying and screaming so hard I could hardly breath. "MAKE.....IT.....STOOOOP!"  I choked out. It seemed like an eternity for the anesthesiologist to come in to give me my epidural. Chad and my mother had to leave the room for them to do it and I hated needles so I was not happy about that. 

Once the epidural started working I was able to concentrate on what the doctors and nurses were tryng to tell me. They had already explained it to Chad and my mom but I was in too much pain to listen or care.

"Okay," the doctor began, "Now normally if you were to come in this far I would stop the labor, but your water broke and after that happens there is nothing we can do. So there may be some complications and I want to prepare you for those. There is a chance that her lungs are not fully developed and she may have to spend some time in the NICU"

I took it all in, not knowing what to say. I knew there was nothing I could do to stop her from coming. So I had to hope for the best.

"Now you get some rest," the nurse said as she was looking over the monitors," and we will be in, in about an hour to check you." I was exhausted, so I close my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

I woke up to the sound of Chad and my mom talking to the doctor.

"The babies heart rate keeps dropping, if it keeps going like this we will have to bring her in for a c-section."

Chad came in with a look of dispair on his face. I looked up at the clock, it was 8:00 in the morning. 

"Is everything okay?" I asked

Chad sighed "Well, you might have to have a c-section. Her heart rate keeps dropping." 

Right then the doctor came in. "Sarah I need to check you." As he was checking how much I wasdialated he told me that if I wasn't progressing that I would have to go have a c-section. "Your about 9 cm. I am going to give you about another half hour and check you again. But we need to get this baby out as soon as possible. She is stable right now but if her heart rate drops your going into the operating room."

After he walked out Chad came over and hugged me. "We are almost there babe, just a little longer and we will have our baby!"

"Chad, I'm scared. I don't want a c-section."

My mom came over and took her hand into mine. "Hunny you are going to be fine, you only have 1 more cm and then you wont have to have one."

I sat up and put my hands on my stomach. "Okay angel, we can do this. You have alot of people that love you so much already!"

After about 20 minutes the doctor came back in and checked me. "Sarah, are you ready to have a baby?"

Everything happened so fast. The nurse came in and wheeled over a table with a bunch of different medical instruments on it and the doctor put on a blue robe looking thing. They pulled out the stirrups and took off the end of the bed.  

"Okay," explained the nurse. "Now when you have a contraction you are going to push pull your legs up and put your chin to your chest and push as hard as you can."

I nodded and the nurse watched the contraction monitor to see when I was having another one.

"Ok you're having a contraction."

I pulled up my legs and pushed as hard as I could as the nurse counted to 10. It was exhausting, but after about 15 pushes the told me to look down and they put her on my chest. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

"She's so beautiful" I said through my sobs. They were tears of joy. I had never loved as much as I loved now. The feeling was something I couldn't describe. Chad was crying too. They cleaned her up and brought her over to the light table to check her over and weigh her.

"5 lbs 6 oz and 19 inches of perfectly healthy baby!" the nurse said as she brought her to me wrapped in a little pink blanket.

I looked down at her in my arms and lost it all over again. She was mine. This was a tiny little human that I was completely responsible for, and she was gorgeous. She head a head full of brown hair and she had Chads piercing blue eyes. I loved her so much already.

We spent 2 days in the hospital after she was born. I had an army of visitors every day. Little did I know when we got home that is when the hard part came.