Chapter One - Memories

Start from the beginning

"Yeah."

I wince at the hurt on his face. I wish I could do something to take his pain away, but I can't heal his broken heart.

"Well, college starts soon." I try to sound perky and upbeat. "You can find the perfect Mrs. Jason Reed there, I'm sure."

He gives me a wink, pulling his phone out of his pocket. "I'll be right back, Alex. It's Dad. I'm sure he wants to know where we are. You'll be okay for a few minutes by yourself?"

I give him a thumbs up, and he stands and walks outside. Dad has been texting nonstop for the last three hours. He's worried. It's not every day one child goes to pick up the other from a psychiatric facility.

Michelle brings the food a few minutes later and plops it down. Her eyes scan for Jason, then settle on me, their brown depths full of jealousy. "Where did Jason go?"

"Phone call."

She stares me down, ready to lay into me, I'm guessing, but before she can say anything, a customer comes in and takes a seat across from me. I get the stink eye before she stalks over to take his order.

I glance at the guy, but the ex-future Mrs. Reed is blocking my line of sight. I can hear his voice, though. It's deep and rich and oddly enough sends shivers down my spine. My hands come up and rub my arms in response. Weird.

"Sorry." Jason slides back into his seat. "Dad's being Dad. So, what do you think of the burgers?"

"The ex-future Mrs. Reed just dropped them off," I say with a laugh. "I haven't even tasted mine yet."

"What are you waiting for?" He gestures to my plate. "Eat up!"

I'm not used to a lot of greasy food, so I want to scrunch my nose up and say no, but it does smell good. My stomach picks that moment to remind me it's empty too.

I pick up the potential artery-clogger and take a bite. An explosion of flavor bursts across my tongue and I let out a small moan of pleasure. We never had food that tasted like this at the facility. Jason grins at my reaction and digs into his own food.

We eat quietly for a few minutes, both lost in our thoughts. I wonder what Dad said to him. Jason has his own apartment near campus, and I'm going to be staying with him while we both attend Appalachia University located here in town. My family gave up everything and moved to this sleepy little college town so I can get a fresh start. We're strangers here, and I don't have to worry about wagging tongues.

Dad and Emma want me to stay with them, but Jason argued against it, and I agree. I love my parents, but if I stay with them, they'll be watching me every minute, waiting for me to slip up so they have a reason to send me back to the crazy house. I know they love me, but no matter what happens, I will never go back.

"We'll go shopping tomorrow for furniture and stuff." Jason licks his fingers. "Dad wants us to stay at the house tonight. I don't know if it's a good idea."

"It's fine, Jase. Dad just wants to make sure I'm not gonna stab you in your sleep." He grimaces and I cringe. Bad joke. Stabbing my brother is what put me in my predicament to begin with.

"Sorry," I mutter and lower my head, my curtain of hair swinging forward to hide my face.

"It's okay." His voice is calmer than mine. "You didn't know what you were doing, Al. I know it wasn't your fault, and you're better now."

But I'm not. I refuse to tell him that, though. I fooled everyone into thinking I'm better. If he only knew how messed up I still am. Like right now, I have my hands under the table because they're starting to shake and that old feeling of the walls closing in on me is creeping up my spine.