Chapter 1

(Evelyn's POV)
I woke up to the sound of my alarm beeping. School. Work. More work. That's how my days went. I'm a junior in college, so I'm 20 years old. I have a steady job at a restaurant as a waitress. I get up and get ready for the day. The outfit I pick out is a pair of jeans, a white flowy top, and some brown sandals. I straighten my mocha- brown hair and look in the mirror to see bags under my eyes. "Ew I need some makeup today." I say to myself. I apply some foundation to my face, mascara to my bright green eyes, and some lipgloss to my lips. I give a satisfied look to myself and walk downstairs. "Good morning Alfred!" I smile and say. He smiles back, "Good morning miss. You're father won't be home until late tonight." "Alright." I say. I eat some cereal and say goodbye to start my day.

I finish my Psychology classes and head to Panera Bread for some lunch, as it is already 1pm. "Hi uh I would like a Caesar salad with a green tea." I say to the cashier. I give him the money and get my salad. I sit down by the window in the front and start eating. Looking out the window, I see a school bus pull out of a bank wall. Huh. That's odd. I think in confusion. I finish eating and decide to take a walk to the park. I see a tv in a shop window and stop to watch it. The Joker's face appears along with a picture of the bank I saw earlier. "It seems the Joker is behind the robbery at the bank this afternoon. Anyone with any information please contact the police immediately." The newsman says. The Joker?! He must've been in the school bus I saw! I think as my eyes widen. It's scary to think that I was just across the street from that man. From what I've been learning about in my Psychology classes, it seems the Joker must've had something bad happen in his life. One bad day could've turned him into what he is today.

I continue my walk to the park and sit down on a bench to relax for a bit. I take out my sketch book to do some drawing. I start to sketch as I hear someone say behind me, "Whatcha drawing there toots?" I turn around to see a man, about early 20s maybe. He sits down next to me. "I was just drawing whatever comes to mind." I shyly say. I'm not a big people- person. I can't even look at this guy's face. "You can look at me ya know. I don't uh,
bite." He says. I look up at his face to see scars from each end of his mouth, curving up into a smile. I knew exactly who he was. The Joker.