having good grades does not make me a nerd

R I L E Y ;

"Riley?" Charlie's soft voice asks me a question as his hand grabs mine. I ignored the loud beating of my chest and stared straight into his eyes.

"Yes?" His free hand stroked my cheek and I swear I was as red as a ripened tomato.

He suddenly bent down on one knee and pulled a tiny little box. What the heck is happening?

"Riley Matthews, will you marry me?"

"Riley Gardner?"

"Riley?"

"Riley?"

"RILEY!"

I jolted up awake, in the process accidentally smacking the face of my 10-year-old younger brother, Auggie. He had clear pale skin, curly dark brown shaggy hair, and a wild imagination.

"Owww! Riley?!" He stumbled back a bit and clutched his nose, glaring at me while I rubbed my eyes and yawned softly. "Sorry..." I apologized and smiled sheepishly at him, and he rolled his eyes waving it off.

He rolled his eyes at me and smirked, "Riley Gardner? I never knew you liked Charlie. He's one of the coaches for my peewee football team. I could tell him..." I glared at my little brother and threw one of my bed pillows at him. "Get out!"

He blocked the pillow and continued, "You should've seen yourself, you were drooling and making a kissy face in your sleep." He puckered up his lips and made a smooching noise and I turned a deep shade of red.

"Get out!" I threw another pillow, harder, and this time he listened and ran away. When did he get such a smart little mouth? Maybe I should attend his football practices more often, if he said Charlie was one of the coaches.

I wiped the drool off the side of my mouth and got out of bed, heading straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face to help wake me up and head to the hellhole we call school.

After that, I went to my closet and randomly grabbed something to wear today. Unlike most girls, I went for comfy rather than stylish and uncomfortable. A simple shirt and leggings would do.

Nodding to myself, I looked at the mirror and quickly combed my brown hair with my fingers and trudged down the stairs, grabbing my lunch and a banana to eat on the way to school.

/ /

"Riley Matthews to the main office. Riley Matthews to the main office." The intercom unexpectedly called my name to the main office and suddenly every pair of eyes were on me. I stuffed my hands in to my NYC hoodie even farther and walked super fast out of the door.

The walk to the main office wasn't that far. I patiently waited for the principal to call me in and took a seat next to his office. Was I in trouble? Were my parents here? Did they catch me reading ahead in English class?

"Riley, please come in." Our principal, Ms. Cherry, was a blonde plump and petite woman in her early 30's, she always wore the same pencil skirt, she was single and had an everlasting bitch-face, but don't tell her I said that.

I smiled politely at her, even though on the inside I was freaking out. Why am I here? I take a step in to her office and the first thing I noticed was Lucas Friar. Oh, boy. Isn't this a coincidence.

He caught my eye and flashed me a confident smile, showing his pearly whites and I turned red. Curse my stupid blushing cheeks.

Ms. Cherry told me to take a seat and she quietly shut the door. I took a seat in front of her desk and she folded her hands together, her stern face showing no emotion whatsoever.

"I bet you're wondering why you're here," Of course I'm wondering why I'm here! She paused for a second before continuing, "Riley, you are definitely not in trouble." I let out the breath of air that I was holding.

"Mr. Friar here is in need of a tutor since he is currently close to failing his math class. In order to continue his football, he must average a B- in that class or he must drop football," I glanced over at Lucas and he shrugged, "I don't do my homework and don't pay attention much."

"Riley, dear," This meant she wanted something, "You are one of my best students in the entire school. You are exceptional at writing and in math you are working a grade above."

"How about this. If you tutor Mr. Friar here, I will count this as extra credit towards your overall academic grade and you will get a free period to help tutor, and if you get done early you are free to go to the library." She definitely had me at extra credit. What? Don't judge me, I want to get in to a good college.

I pretended to think for a couple seconds and pressed my lips in a thin line. "Alright." I agreed.

Ms. Cherry nodded. "Thank you, Miss Matthews. You two are dismissed." She waved her hand and we both left.

"You know, you seem like a nerd." Lucas had said quite bluntly, as soon as we exited the main office. I raised my eyebrows.

"How?" I asked, quite dumbfounded. He laughed and patted my head while I swatted his hand away.

"Didn't you hear the principal?" I looked at him confused, and he rolled his eyes and started talking in a lousy Ms. Cherry imitation. "You are exceptional at writing and you are so amazing and yada yada yada."

"Whatever." I mutter and he pinches my cheeks "Is the little nerd mad?" I glare at him before smacking his hand away.

"You know, having good grades doesn't make me a nerd."

/ /

holã!

yayay so i finally updated this in like 363939 years!!! *cues the clapping*

lol i'm already getting that rucas vibe and it's only like chapter 2 oops. #sorrynotsorry

thanks for 200+ views and 20+ votes!

goal for this chapter; 10 votes 50 reads? thanks loves!

heart,
s a m