“Arianna we have to go now,” my father’s voice boomed from the front door freeing me from my flash back. It has been two weeks since my mother’s death and today was her funeral. I checked my self quickly in the mirror, my curly golden hair held loosely in place by a black hair band, my blue eyes cloudy with sadness and pale skin that sparkled with dry tears. I wore a long simple black dress that draped down to my ankles from my waist looking similar to a bell. I put on a soft, solid, black coat over my dress prepared for the chills of mid-October.   

     Max waited in the car for us, his headphones were on; he was definitely listening to music. He liked classical music, and so did I. I opened the car door and sat beside Max. I could hear faintly of what he was listening to, Moonlight by Mozart, one of my favorites. I popped one earpiece out of his ear and put it into my left ear. He shot a nasty glare at me then returned to quietly looking out the window.

     We listened to classical music all the way there. When we got there, Max took off his mp3 player and put it into his pocket. He looked grim, His black bangs messily hung just over his eyes. I could no longer feel the warmness when I looked into his chocolate brown eyes. He was wearing a classy black tuxedo that actually made him look handsome except for the complete grim look and the fact that we were at a funeral.

     There wasn’t too many people there, just close family and friends of my mother. A couple of my mother’s friends came up to me; they all had mascara running down from their eyes. To me, they looked like a pack of pampered raccoons.

“We’re so sorry,” Alicia sobbed and began to cry again. Why are they sorry? It’s not like they ended my mother’s life. I thought to myself. I stood there motionless as they hugged me. After the hugs, they went to my father to do the same thing, apologize for nothing.

Max looked at me sincerely, he could tell that I was on the verge of going insane.

“Why don’t we go for a walk?” He suggested.

“Yeah I guess I need to cool off,” I replied.

   We waked away from the funeral, the fallen leaves crunching under our feet. I always loved autumn, the bright colors of the leaves on the ground, the feeling of the cool breeze through my hair. Leaves spun around us, we could not hear the funeral any longer. It was quiet except for a near by woodpecker tapping repeatedly on a tree looking for bugs to snack on.

“I love the peace and quiet of the graveyard,” Max said taking a deep breathe in of the fresh, cool air.

“If only we weren’t here for a funeral,” I sighed. I wanted to cry but I kept strong and hid my emotions. Max gave me a hug.

“Its okay, your mum, she’s in a better place now.” He tried to comfort me but failed in everyway possible. He noticed that he had said the wrong thing and pulled away.

“I’m sorry,” he uttered softly.

“It’s alright. I want to find my mother’s killer and make him pay.” I announced proudly.

“What? What happens if you do find out who he is and no one believes you?” He replied defensively angered at the idea, throwing up his arms.

“It doesn’t matter because I’ll find proof.” I answered his question.

“Fine, we’ll find him together. We will have to wait until his next murder. Let’s give him a week.”

“Good, we’ll wait a week to see who else he kills. Thanks for understanding.”

“I hate you,” he said sarcastically.

       We walked back to the funeral unnoticed. My father saw us and motioned for us to go to him. He handed us each a white rose.

“After you say your farewells put the rose into the hole.” He instructed lightly.

“Okay,” I muttered.

“Alright,” Max replied politely. We both walked to where everyone stood around the hole my mother’s ashes would be buried. I stood quietly and waited for my turn. I was going last after Max. My mother’s friends muttered something probably goodbye, then dropped their flowers into the hole and began to sob. Their husbands came up to them and walked them away. My grandpa mostly talked about how great of a daughter my mom was. My Dad talked about me, he compared me to my mother, that I have all of qualities. Max talked about her being one of his close friends and how much enjoyment it was to be around her.

   It was my turn. I walked up casually fiddling around with the rose. I felt shivers run up my spine; it wasn’t from the cold. My mother, she stood in front of me on the opposite side of the hole. I looked right at her, and stood there frozen. Was she real? Or was my imagination getting the best of me?

I thought that she was so I continued to stare. I then started to speak,

“Mum, I don’t know who ended your life but I know one thing for sure that you’ll always be remembered. No one will forget your kindness. I will never forget you. You are my best friend and always will be. You will be in my heart forever. I never got along with anyone better than you and Max. I love you.” I finished then dropped the rose into the hole. I heard people crying after that. I stared blankly into her ghostly eyes.

“I promise to find him, and make him pay!” I shouted. I began to tremble all over. My mother’s figure blurred. I felt some one touch my shoulder from behind. I whipped around without paying attention to who it was and punched them. He let a cry out in pain, Max! Oh no… I thought. Blood gushed from his nose. I felt horrible and then felt woozy all at the same time. The world began to spin around me. I tried to fight it but ended up falling to the ground unconscious. All I could see was silver glowing stars lined in blackness.