Chapter 5

The boys had left about a week ago and I was dancing and singing around the house while I cleaned. My ringtone interrupted the music playing through my iPhone.

“Hello?” I answered the phone, to the unknown number.

            “Hello is this Chloe James?” a woman’s voice said.

            “Yes? Who’s this?” I replied

            “This is Sally Davidson, I’m with the Dublin Police Department” She replied, I could hear the sadness in her voice, “I’m so sorry to tell you, your mother got in a car accident and….well she didn’t make it out”

            At that point I lost it, the tears fell down my cheeks with ease. “O-okay” I managed to get out between my sobs.         

            My mother had been around me all my life, I’d never really been without her. She was my best friend, how was I supposed to go on without my best friend. My mother!

            Instantly I knew who I had to call, I picked up my phone and dialed the oh, so familiar number.

            “Siva?” I cried into the phone.

            “What’s wrong?” he worried.

            “My m-m-mom”

            “What about your mom Chloe?”

            “G-g-gone” I stuttered.

            “Your mom’s gone?”

            “She’s dead Siva! My mom is dead!” I shouted in the phone through my tears.

            “I’m coming home” He instantly said

            “No!” I insisted, “You can’t stop your tour for me, it’s not even your family”

            “Chloe, your mum is practically mine, I’m coming home and Jay’s coming with me.”

            After a silent moment and a shuddering sigh I said: “Okay, if you’re going to come, please come quick. I think I’m gonna stay over at your house till you get here, I don’t know if I want to be alone in this house, knowing my mom won’t be back again” The tears fell more.

            “Okay Clo, we’ll be there by tomorrow. I love you very much.” With that he hung up.

            I collapsed on the floor at that point and let my thoughts overwhelm me. My mother wasn’t coming back, she was gone forever. I was never going to see her again. After all these years of always having her right by my side, from the minute I was born, she’s not going to be there anymore. I knew that I was going to live on my own someday but not like this, I expected to still be able to call my mum up and ask her to have lunch. She was now just a memory, not a part of my life.

            I was only 6 months old when my dad left, I’ve never met him, or even seen a picture. All my life I grew up wondering who he was, what he was like. I never had him, I just had my mom. And now I have neither, sure I’m a grown woman, but that’s not the point. The point is, I grew up always having her, and after one car accident, that is ripped away from me.

            I tried to pick myself off the floor when I heard a knock on the front door but I failed, I shouted as loud as I could, which wasn’t very loud, for the person to come in. I had lost all my energy and strength in crying, by this point in time I just felt numb.