one: nice to meet you, forest

SUPER IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a sample! If you'd like to read this in its entirety, you can find this story on FicFun, where you can also read it for free. Click the external link, or continue on until chapter five. See you.

Thank you for your support. I hope  you enjoy.

*

It's here. 

I grinned, shuffling around my room, my eyes wandering around the barren walls and empty cupboards; completely stripped of everything that made it mine—everything that made it feel like home. With a sigh that made me wonder whether this was worth it or not, I grabbed my messenger bag from the floor and let it hang from my shoulder, gripping the strap tightly.

  It's finally here.

"Dan!"

Believe it or not, I'd dreaded this day way back when. Packing isn't my favourite past-time, especially when the feeling that you're forgetting something hums quietly in the hearth of your being, able to fade into the background but still warm enough for its presence to be felt.

God, I hated it.

"Daniel!" Mother screamed from downstairs, her voice jagged enough to grate cheese with. "My beloved, currently very annoying and unresponsive child, please come downstairs! He's going to be here soon, and we don't want you two to be late, now do we?"

Sighing softly, I shut my eyes, fingers tracing the doorframe that I'd once spent far too long staring at, hoping someone would appear behind the door that it helped hold together and walk right through it.

Recently, Noah's been the only one I needed to see on the other side, and it still leaves me breathless, sometimes.

My eyes fluttered open and I drifted out of the room, making sure to take every piece of me with each step.

"Not a chance." I boomed, descending upon the stairs as Mother hurried around the kitchen on her impossibly light feet. "I refuse to manoeuvre my way through all of the late people, especially with all of my stuff. After all, the early bird gets the worm."

Just thinking about it sent chills up my spine; all those people hovering around, with lives and dreams and dorms of their own, hopefully just as lost as I suspected Noah and me to be.

"The early bird also gets food poisoning if that worm's been out there for days," Mom retorted, her blond hair shimmering in the sunlight that peeked through the blinds, illuminating every single thing about her.

I rolled my eyes, and her piercing blue ones smiled in response, her hands frivolously continuing to pack lunch.

"We don't need that, Mom." I sighed, fiddling with my fingers as I slid into one of the stools behind the island. "We were going to get McDonald's."

"Of course," she huffed, "because fast food is so much better than my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches."

"Nothing is better than your PB&J, honey." Father chirped, strolling in from outside and planting a kiss on her forehead. She grinned into his neck, and his blue eyes widened in surprise and joy.

It was strange, how well they fit together—from their bodies, to their personalities. I could only hope that Noah and I were like that.

"If that's some sort of sexual reference, you need to stop." I muttered, faking a gag. Dad rolled his eyes, squeezing Mom's arm before strutting towards my side of the island.