PROLOGUE

My parents sit across from me, waiting for me to explain. And as I look into my mother's eyes, I feel a lot better about this than I did a few minutes before. There's something about mothers, their touch seems to soothe your pain, and their kind words shower you with relief, make you feel like everything's gonna be okay. But their anger, it makes you feel disappointed in yourself, small. I'm not sure how she'll take this news, but this is what I want, what I believe in, who I am now. And I can only hope to make her agree with my decision.

My father clears his throat, making me come out of my reverie. "What is it, Anna?" he asks.

I try to string together words enough to make him understand what I want to say. I look up to him, straight in the eyes, telling him that I don't want to hurt him. That whatever I do, I love him. But I have to do this. And I say "I have decided to change my religion, to become a muslim." It comes out blatantly, and it catches even myself off-guard. And in that second, everything changes.

Silence hangs in the air. No one speaks for a minute, and then my mother breaks the silence. Her voice is calm and gentle, and she doesn't look at me like I've disappointed her. "What brought about your decision?" she asks.

I don't know what to say. There are so many reasons that I'm doing this. Finally, I say "It feels right."

And she nods, like she understands.  

And in that moment, it is all I need.

Author's note: This is my first attemp at writing and it is also unedited so please bear with it, and ignore the grammar and spelling mistakes for now. I'll fix them ASAP. Also thank you for reading.