Next Step

Spencer's P.O.V.

I decided to drive Hayley back to where she was staying after we ate, just to make sure she was okay. So far the majority of the journey had been spent in silence and Hayley staring out the window in deep thought.

"Thanks for coming," Hayley said softly before continuing. "It was nice to see a friendly face."

"It was no problem really," I reply.

She starts to smile before speaking again, (that was the first time I ever saw her smile) "Do you know that's the first time I've had a parent comfort me in years, even if he didn't know that he was comforting his daughter. I know this will sound weird because I barely know him, but it felt nice you know, it just felt natural."

"I know we've already talked about this, but are you sure you don't want to tell him?" I ask.

"Yeah, I want to get to know him first. I want to see what he's like without him thinking he has standards to live up to or time to make up for, you know?"

I wanted to make a point to change her mind but what she said actually made perfect sense. Then I had an idea that I thought would speed up the process. "Why don't you move to Quantico?" I ask which is replied with a look of confusion. "You almost have enough credits to complete your degree and you said earlier that you don't want to go back to Princeton. There's a secretary position after opening in the BAU, you wouldn't be working on cases but you could work there while finishing your degree in a night school. That way you get to know Derek and still get qualified to join the B.A.U."

Just as I finish explaining my idea we pull up to the B&B where Hayley was staying. Hayley was thinking about my idea as I parked the car. "You really are a genius Spencer Reid," she said with a smirk on her face. "Thank you," she smiled then planting a light kiss on my cheek and leaving the car. I could feel myself blush but tried to hide it as I waved goodbye to Hayley as I drove out of the B&B car park.

Hayley's P.O.V.

I felt so excited when I started packing. I couldn't wait for a new start, that was until a photo of Lexi and I, which I had been using as a bookmark fell onto the floor. I smiled a sad smile as I picked it up, that reminded me that it was going to be hard to leave. I had momentarily forgotten the situation I was in, I was so excited about a new start that I forgot what I was leaving behind. Obviously it would've been harder to stay, but college was the only place where I'd memories of Lexi and although they sadden me, they were a reminder of what a naturally happy person and great friend she was. I could her imagine her sitting on the bed beside me convincing me to go to Quantico, to go to my father, to start over. She would tell me how rare an opportunity like this comes up. An opportunity to work at the BAU (even if it was as a secretary not a member) and to get to know my father and of course she would succeed in convincing me. She'd probably drive me there just to make sure I went.

It took less than an hour for me to pack and check-out of the B&B, I'd called Spencer and he said that he and the team were flying back tonight and that I could go with them if I wanted. I had no idea where I was going to stay when I got there, but I didn't care I was trying something new, being spontaneous.

I drove to the jet and when I got out of my car, I assumed I must of been late as Spencer was at the bottom of the stairs to the jet searching for someone. When he noticed me, he looked relieved, he must have thought I'd changed my mind.

"Sorry, I didn't realise that I was late," I apologised as I approached him with a smile on my face.

"Your not late at all. I'd calculated that there'd be traffic on the way here but evidently I was wrong," Spencer explained to me. I lightly chuckled as I imagined Spencer calculating road traffic for fun in his free time. Spencer looked at me in confusion when I chuckled but I briefly shook my head and let it go. I followed him up the steps and into the jet.

When I entered jet I was speechless, I'd never flew first class let alone on a private jet. The leather seats looked extremely comfortable and if I was alone I would've jumped straight onto one. Instead I greeted the rest of team.

"Thank you," I said quietly to Hotch when greeting him. "Not just for letting me fly with you but for the job as well. I know you would have preferred to hire someone with experience especially given that the job is in the BAU. I just wanted to thank you and to let you now that I won't let you down," I explained. I didn't want to just waltz into the BAU like it was given right to do so. I wanted to show that appreciated the opportunity and I would do anything I could to prove it.

"I know," Hotch replied kindly. "Best sit down now. We're about to take off."

I did as instructed and sat in a window seat opposite Spencer. As we took off I stared observantly out the window identifying as much of the area as I could. I'd a vague idea of what was what but couldn't be sure because.. well I was in a jet.  Right before we entered a cloud I saw Princeton. Mentally, I said my last goodbye to Lexi and the life I had at Princeton. Once we entered the cloud I smiled to myself, ready to start a new adventure.