Chapter Thirty-Two: The Bugs Lair

Start from the beginning

"So that's where you come in, Leighton," Jimmy added, a dimpled smile appearing on his face. I noticed that he was rolling an unlit cigarette between his hands.

Subsequently, Carl scrunched up his nose. "If you could refrain from calling me that and smoking that in my bedroom, it would be greatly appreciated."

Jimmy reluctantly pocketed the cigarette.

"So will you help me?" I asked, close to pleading.

"This would have to be the weirdest trio in history," Carl went on to say. "Ugh. I have a heart, you know? Sit down, I'll tell you everything."

***

We had gotten more comfortable. Mrs Samuels didn't hesitate to make us cups of coffee or flavoured teas, checking in with us every half hour or so for food. I was sat on the desk chair, spinning on it aimlessly in circles whilst Carl finished downing his piping hot drink. Jimmy, on the other hand, had buried himself in the blankets as he had forgotten his jacket in the Cadillac. Carl had actually allowed him to flick through a comic book as long as he promised not to crease it whilst we waited.

Carl adjusted his position on the bed, careful not to disturb Jimmy's fortress of pillows and duvets. "All right, so why you're here," he began, setting the mug down on top of an open DVD case.

I stopped spinning, anticipation and eagerness taking over every inch of my body.

"I used to know Zach, a couple of years ago before he transferred here. We went to the same school."

I digested this information. This already was off to an interesting start. "How did you recognise him?" I enquired slowly.

"How could I not recognise him?" Carl said, shuffling his feet uncomfortably. He didn't give me a straight answer.

"Were you friends or something?"

He grabbed his blue beanie from across Jimmy and positioned it so that it held back his fringe. "You could call it that." I waited for him to expand. "I knew him way before his dark phase, when he wore legit plain jeans and graphic t-shirts. Innocent Zach, should we call it?"

That was a strange thing to imagine: a normal Zach. No leather jackets or beige knit-sweaters.

"We weren't exactly friends, we stayed with each other for company and protection. Safety in numbers, you see? I was the obese kid and Zach was the skinny, strange one. We were the easiest targets for bullies."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

He held a hand up. "No need to apologise," he mumbled. "Innocent Zach grew a little older and was beginning to idolize his idiot of a brother. Zach really hated himself and so he changed. That was where I believe it started. He had gotten fitter and took up boxing and karate for extracurricular activities."

"Hot damn," inputted Jimmy, remaining in his cocoon of blankets.

"It was like he was a completely different person after the summer. He stood up to the bullies. He gave them a real beating – much, much worse then they deserved. He would skip school just like he is now and stay out until stupid times. He hung out more and more with the sort of people his brother was with." He paused to breathe. "Everyone was afraid of Zach."

"That's why he became Zachary, so he would have a clean slate," I added, verbalizing my thoughts.

"At that time, he was becoming worse than Daniel."

"Daniel?"

"His brother."

I didn't even know the name of Zach's brother.