They are stood blocking a fork in the path; from my vision, I can see one snakes down the hacked wall of the pit, heading in a twisting line straight for that outer city of dirt and decay.

The other, however, notably takes an abridged route; polite steps lead downwards and onto a walkway to the second sector, beyond the blocking wall. And that path continues on, I notice, allowing a route right up to the foot of the mountain, where a new kind of path must start.

If my instincts are to be believed, Chronus sits in that charming white palace atop his pleasant hill, and the fastest way to it is via the second path.

The first guard is appraising us, laughing openly at Hadrian and nudging his friend to do the same. But then he does something strange; he notices Hadrian's lack of chest plate, lack of ID-- and blanches, visibly.

'Who are you?' his friend, Chestnut, demands.

I feel like it's our turn to smirk as Hadrian says, 'I am King Hadrian of the Underworld Court. I am here to see my brother.'

His words hit home to the two guards how despicably they've behaved, and the two immediately set about grovelling, bowing to the king and offering to guide him to the palace. I'm all but forgotten.

'I'll need some clothes, please, gentlemen,' Hadrian requests, and the two guards look at each other, terrified.

'We don't have any clothes handy, your majesty,' one says.

'Only the clothes on our back sir!' the second chips in, and the first one looks at him in horror.

'They'll do,' says Hadrian sweetly, and I stifle a laugh as a cough. Tripping over themselves, the guards strip to their own underwear as the king tries on their clothing.

Hadrian's legs are too long for the darker skinned guard, but Chestnut is taller so his trousers fit fine. However, Chestnut is less bulky than Hadrian, so he chooses the first guard's jacket. For comic effect, I hand Hadrian the hat, and he flashes me a wink as he tries it on.

Gods, he looks shockingly good in another man's uniform.

No wonder I failed lust, I think.

But I've drawn attention to myself with the hat, and the tanned skin guard regards me with an air of coolness. He takes one look at my ID and breathes heavily through his nose as a sigh. Without a word, he grabs me by the arm and steers me towards the long route; the route that's winding, narrow, collapsing, and going in the opposite direction than I want to.

'I need to see the King!' I demand, pulling my arm back. Tanned guard's grip doesn't falter, but his nails rake across my skin. 'I'm Hadrian's wife, I'm with him!'

But Tanned only laughs, and continues to steer me towards the metal gates that look perfect at keeping the citizens locked in. That's the kind of hellhole it is, I shudder to realise.

'You're not seeing King Chronus,' Tanned says. Strangely, it's not said viciously, but matter-of-factly. 'He only sees those in the Second Circle and above.'

I want to tell him precisely what his ruler will be able to see once I've stuck his head somewhere, but I'm facing the gates and angering this guard is the last think I should really do if I want to convince him that I deserve to waltz out from here.

Hadrian, meanwhile, is led gently towards those nice steps, and offered by Chestnut to escort him to the palace directly, but my husband shakes his head, glancing back to see where I was.

Being dragged away.

Chestnut cranks open the metal doors for the other guard,and he shoves me roughly inside. I swear and curse, giving up on persuading him, and trying to fight my way back out. Tanned has a whip in his belt, which he slings in an arc towards my feet, tripping me up.

Hitting my face on rough rock, I scream, 'Hadrian! HADRIAN!'

It's a last resort, but I'm hopeful. There's no way he could let them treat me like this. Could he?

The metal doors begin to close, and Tanned stands there with his whip, making sure I don't leave.

Where is Hadrian?

Why wasn't he coming?

'HADRIAN!' I scream, but the doors are getting slimmer, and I realise that he's not coming. He's gone straight to the goddamn king to ask for his ticket back up to his cushy palace, and he's leaving me to rot here.

Damn, heartless, shitting bastard.

Tears actually spring into my eyes as the gap between the doors now barely fits a man's shoulders. I had hoped he had some honor, but it seems like my wish wasn't his problem.

Fucker.

Fuck it.

Fuck him.

I stuff my hands over my eyes, pushing them onto the ground. I've failed. Failed. How in hell's name would I get out of here? The whole point of this place was to keep us locked in, and if thousands of others couldn't escape, how would I?

I sob, unhappy. I'd given everything except my virginity to find Nate and save his soul, and now I might never find him, never find out what happened to him. I pound my fists onto the ground behind me, screaming in fury and pain and agony, splitting my skin on the sharp rock.

'Hey-- hey, stop!'

I freeze.

Slowly, dumbfounded, I raise my head.

A man in his white guard's uniform and luscious dark hair stands over me, looking flushed and confused and unsure what to do. He's beautiful, but there's something much more to him, something I'm only just starting to understand. I'm hopelessly lost as his eyes meet mine, and then I'm on my feet and in his arms, burying my face in his chest and holding back tears of gratitude.

Hesitant, I feel Hadrian answer, wrapping his arms around me in comfort, as if the gesture was alien and he wasn't sure how to do it. Then, the weight of his chin as he props his head on mine.

'You came back for me,' my voice is muffled against his chest.

His chest vibrates. He's chuckling, and it's a sound that calms my whole body. 'I must be mad. But I couldn't just leave you.'

Words can't describe my relief.

And my thoughts can't process another emotion welling inside my chest, bubbling like a volcano ready to blow.

Vote and share if you liked! Nerissa would love you if you comment your favourite thoughts about her <3
Larissa x