Destroyed In Seconds

(A/N Hey guys! So, this is my first story and I was a little hesitant in posting it because I didn't think it sounded too good. I'm trying something new here so don't be too harsh with the criticsm but besides that, feedback is much appreciated. Hope you enjoy! COMMENT.VOTE.FAN...? [:)

I'm not like other 19 year old guys.

I'm not dragging through college courses halfheartedly, partying, getting shit faced drunk, or hooking up with random girls every night; none of that ever happens in my life. Instead, I spend my time dodging bullets, defusing bombs, engaging in hand to hand combat, and ridding the world of the scum that tarnish it.

It was a year and a half ago that I made the decision to join the Armed Services, my main motivation being the all-expense paid trip through college. Little did I know that I would get sucked into a world that would be hard to get out of. I went through the whole registration process and soon I was training to be out in the battlefield amongst all the exciting, fatal action. Training was a difficult and grueling experience that left me second guessing my decision and my whole body bruised and battered, but it wasn't long before I started to slowly build up the skill and muscle that was required. I remember not being able to do more than 12 pull ups and then all of a sudden being able to do 30 without breaking a sweat, being able to run a 6 minute mile without stopping for breath, doing things that would have been impossible for me a year ago.

My improvement didn't go unnoticed.

I was approached by, Captain Monahan, who told me about an opportunity that was available only to a select group of people, and I was one of them. He told me that my physical capabilities would be an asset to his division, that if I passed up the offer I'd be making a grave mistake.

His division was an undercover, government sponsored, agency that specialized in covert operations. I immediately thought of all the cool TV shows I'd watched about secret agents and the excitement that was depicted in it.

The next day, I was officially recruited and inducted into COA, Covert Operations Agency, not a very creative name if you ask me but it got the point across didn't it?

Besides me there were about 20 or so other agents that actually worked the operations, other than that we had a lab and tech team that tended to stay hidden away in their designated work spaces.

The COA building was our home now, it was an inconspicuous haven built into the side of a large hill, located in the middle of the forest, we were basically off the map and notably safe from any intrusions. Compared to the rugged and mundane appearance of our location, we had high tech and modern accommodations. Each agent had a good sized room with a personal bathroom, entertainment setup, various utilities, and not to mention my personal favorite, a government advocated credit card; limitless. It was only fair for us to receive these luxuries in return for the services we provided.

I was enjoying said luxuries when the PA system came to life and the smooth, female voice that was heard throughout the day rang throughout the room. I ignored it and turned up the TV’s volume, trying to force myself to focus on the images flitting across the screen, but I caved in and muted the sound when I realized that concentrating was close to impossible.

"Agent Buchanan, please report to the Captain's cabin, thank you".

Duty calls.

I groaned slightly and heaved myself off the bed, stretching like a cat to erase any laziness that hovered over me. I ran a hand through my short brown hair to make sure it was presentable and stepped out of my room, pulling it shut behind me. There were a couple people walking around and talking to each other, who waved in recognition at me. I lazily waved back with two fingers and offered them a smile as I passed by. I finally got to the heavy metal door that led into the Captain's office and stared into the eye scanner, its red light glided across my dark gray eyes and blinked green before the door slid open with a hiss.

"Hey Velma" I smiled amusingly at the stoic woman who was sitting at the desk "Captain wanted to see me, am I cleared?”

She shot me a look in response and spoke crisply "you're cleared, go on through".

I almost laughed at her annoyance with me but covered it up with a cough and smirked lightly. Velma, the Captain's secretary, and I had a love hate relationship from the start. I loved to aggravate her and she hated me for it.

A healthy relationship, if you asked me.

I went past her desk to the back of the room and knocked on the heavy wooden doors before opening it slightly and poking my head in "Ryan Buchanan reporting, Sir".

 The captain stood at the big glass window, his broad back to me, and raised a hand to wave me inside.

I stepped in and closed the door, "you wanted to see me, Captain?”

 "I did", he stated in his natural-leader-like voice and motioned me into a chair, "have a seat Agent Buchanan".

I parked my butt in the chair in front of his paper strewn mahogany desk as ordered and he finally joined me, but on the opposite side.

"I have a long term assignment that I want to hand over to you, Agent Buchanan" ,he raised a gray eyebrow challengingly, "I hope you are up to accepting it, I know you just finished that Alvarado case and want some time to yourself...".

I'd been here long enough to know that when the Captain 'hoped' for stuff he actually meant he wanted it done without any complaints.

I sighed in defeat and leaned back in my seat "when do I get debriefed?”

A coy smile crept onto his face, "excellent" ,he slid a manila folder across the desk over to me started giving me details. "Jacques Pierpont, a French gangster who deals with many vices”, he explained as I opened up to the first page, a collage of candid photos of a light skinned, wiry, mustached man getting out of an expensive car, glancing around while talking on the phone, surrounded by big men in black as he stepped into a building, his image frozen on the paper. "His main involvement is directing prostitution between young women" the Captain continued "he lures them in with the promise of a job overseas then forces them to sell their bodies".

 I flipped through the pages with a heavy heart and disgust clouding my features, the next 30 pages or so were actually pictures of his victims, either dead or close to it. I closed the file, not wanting to see any more of the haunted, pale faces of the girls.

"Well, what do you want me to do about him?” I asked, "I mean, you have enough incriminating evidence to sentence him for life".

Captain smiled slyly and shook his head, "I never said that he was your target".

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion, "what? But-"

He held up a finger to silence me, walking around the desk to lean on it in front of me "sorry, that didn't sound too good, did it? I meant that he isn't your highest priority"

I raised an eyebrow, "then what is?"

Surely a bastard like him deserved to be killed, revived, and killed again. What could be more important?

"Her", he said and pointed at something behind me.

I followed his line of sight and froze, for the first time, noticing the slim, unconscious body stretched out on the leather couch. Her curly dark brown hair was flopped over her face, effectively shielding her features from view and she was dressed in black sweats and tank top.

"Wha-Who-What?!” I spluttered, looking at the Captain, "who is that?"

"Your new assignment"