Leadership Problems

Hiccup sighed as he layed down on his bed. He put his arm over his eyes as Toothless went over to the corner where he slept. He ran his hands through his hair as the days events ran through his head. Gustav Larson is no easy task. The reckless teenager had almost gotten himself killed today and probably would have killed himself had it not been for Hiccup and Toothless. He heard footsteps and turned his head to the
side to see Astrid by the door.

"Tired?" she asked as he just nodded and sat up. She walked over to him as he started talking.

"I think we all are. I just can't believe he would be so irresponsible and do something like that." He said as he rubbed one side of his face while he rested his head on the other.

"I know. But I think you were a bit too harsh on him Hiccup."

"No I wasen't Astrid. He should be smarter than that." He pointed his hand in the direction of where Gustav was staying. "If I hadn't followed him, he would've died today. What would I tell his parents if that happened? What would I tell my father? If I can't protect one person on this island than he'll think I can't protect or lead you guys or this island."

"So that's what this is about." she said as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"About what?"

"You're worried that your father will think that you're not capable of running an island."

"No, it's not that. Don't be ridiculous." At this point he was standing in front of her. "I'm worried that that kid will get himself killed."

"You're worried that he'll go and do something stupid and make you look weak. But you're not weak Hiccup. Stop trying to prove yourself."

"I'm not trying to prove myself. He's sixteen Astrid. Sixteen. By that time I had already been fighting off Dagur and Alvin. We were fighting off Dagur and Alvin. We didn't mess around when it came to them. And neither should he."

"But don't you get it?"

"Get what Astrid?"

"He's trying to prove himself. He said it today. He's trying to prove himself the same way you did."

"I'm not trying to prove myself."

"Really? Remember when Bucket accidentaly painted a picture of you and your dad where you were all buff and big?"

"Yes. But what does that have to do with anything?" He asked as he walked over to his table and leaned on it. Astrid followed pursuit.

"You went on that crazy treasure hunt with us and almost got yourself killed. Ring a bell?"

"That is totally different."

"How? Because it's the same thing Gustav is doing. But not to prove himself to his father. He's trying to prove himself to you." Hiccup sighed in aggitation.

"Why in the name of Thor would he need to prove himself to me?"

"Because he looks up to you!" She stoped for a second and let it sink in. "Don't you see? He looks up to you. You're a hero to him Hiccup. You're big in his eyes just as your father is in yours. You trained a Night Fury. Deteated the Red Death. You even lost your leg, Hiccup. You're a hero to him. And he's trying to prove himself just like you're trying to prove yourself to Stoick and to us everyday even though you don't have to." Hiccup's shoulders slumped as he brought both hands to his face and covered it.

Astrid let her arms fall from her chest and walked over to him. She took his hands away from his face and than put one hand under his chin and forced him to look at her.

"Stop trying to prove yourself." she whispered. "You don't need to. You don't have to. And let him know that as well. But tell him he's not ready to be a Dragon Rider just yet. And you don't have to be chief either, just yet. Not yet." That was the problem. Ever since he turned 18, Stoick has been giving Hiccup chiefdom lessons and teaching him the basics. But since he turned 19, he was pestered from his father to go on every chief meeting there was. That got him wondering if he would make a good chief one day. And he didn't want to let his father down. He already did that in the first 15 years of his life.

She let the hand that was under his chin uncurl and lift up to rest on his cheek. He leaned into the touch and closed his eyes as he let out a deep breath through his nose.

"Not yet." She murmured under her breath once more as she raised her other hand to his cheek as well. He nodded and let his forehead rest on hers as his hands uncurled from around his chest to wrap around her waist and bring her close.

"Not yet." He whispered after her as he opened his eyes to reveal two emerald orbs.
They felt each others breaths colliding and they loved it. The sensation of each others hand on their bodies was leaving a sort of scorch mark. Their noses were touching as Hiccup debated wheather or not he should kiss her. One side was screaming go for it while the other was pulling back on the reigns with a firm are you crazy.

In the end he just thought screw it, and smashed his lips onto hers. Their hearts started to beat rapidly, as if trying to sync with one another. Astrid was shocked at first to be honest, but soon reacted and kissed back. They tryed to keep their lips together as long as possible before they broke for air, only to smash them together again. The taste of each others lips was amazing. They wanted to keep going but it ended when Fishlegs came and yelled...

"GUSTAV'S GONE!!!"