Timid

Starla's POV

All I saw was darkness. I felt darkness, saw darkness, heard nothing... Then I heard voices. Quiet whispers, and concerned voices. I didn't understand, so slowly, I pulled myself into consciousness and opened my eyes slowly. The first thing I saw was a cream colored ceiling. Then I slowly sat up, my head pounding. Looking down I saw I was in nothing but a baggy man's shirt. That scared me. My wolf was the most confused. She was scared, but the scent in the room calmed her slightly. But as a person, I was terrified out of my mind.

I got up and the whispering stopped. It was right outside the door. I watched as the door slowly slid open and a man appeared on the other side. "You're awake," his voice sounded shocked as he moved closer to me.

I moved away out of habit. This man, although beautiful, was muscular and tall. Far bigger than I. He could easily kill me without a second thought. My wolf on the other hand wanted to move closer. I wouldn't let that happen.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he said, honesty in his eyes. "I'm Alex. You wandered into my territory so I brought you in."

I bit my lip and moved away further. I needed space. If he attacked, I could move quicker than him.

"What's your name?" He asked.

I stayed quiet and stared at him.

He sighed. "Please, I just want to know your name."

I bit my lip and looked down. "Starla," I whispered.

"Starla?" He sounded like he was tasting it on his tongue. "Well, Star. It's nice to meet you officially," he offered me his hand.

Alex's POV

I watched as she just stared at my hand, and flinched away. Her big green eyes looked scared, as she staying at least 4 feet away from me. My wolf wanted me to go up to her and hold her close, but it might scare her even more.

What has her so scared anyway? It's by wolf's nature to be independent, scared of nothing creatures. And surely her wolf wants her near me, since we're obviously mates, but she won't let it. What happened to her? "Starla, it's ok. I promise you. You're safe. I just want a handshake," I said in a calming voice.

She stared at it a while longer before taking a step forward and shaking my hand. Electricity ran through my arm and it felt amazing. But, unfortunately, she pulled away a little TOO quickly.

"You must be starving. Follow me," I exited the room as she followed behind slowly. Making my way downstairs to the kitchen, I noticed a lot of people around. I instantly felt someone tug on my shirt. I looked down and saw Starla clinging to me, looking scared. "It's ok Starla. They're apart of my pack. They won't hurt you."

She loosened up a bit, but held on like her life depended on it.

I made my way to the kitchen were my beta, Jason, and his mate, Scarlett were. Starla's small hands held on tight, as I saw the two. "Star, this is my beta, Jason, and his mate, Scarlett. Guys, this is Starla," I pulled her slightly in front of me, and took her hand in mine in reassurance.

"Hi Starla, it's nice to meet you," Scarlett smiled.

Starla let out a low sigh and looked at Scarlett in the eyes, clearly not afraid of her. "It's nice to meet you too," she kept switching from Scarlett, to put a wary glance at Jason.

That's when I realized it was only men she was afraid of. What made her like this? Why is she so timid?