Love is a Wound - Chapter 10

Start from the beginning

      'Or do you feel,' she went on, 'that as it was not yet born it does not merit any mention?’  Her voice was becoming more and more acidic. ‘Of course, I become confused about what the Church believes. Obviously if a baby dies before it is baptised we are told it goes straight to limbo are we not? But does that apply to babies that meet with some accident before they are born? What would you think Sir Guy, with your knowledge of the scriptures?’

      She glared at him and that mouth, that he had thought could never look anything other than beautiful, was formed into an ugly sneer.

      ‘Oh God,’ thought Guy, ‘she thinks I killed Grace; she thinks I killed the baby.’

       He said nothing and tried not to meet her gaze. ‘Damn Gifford,’ he thought, ‘nobody had told him to rid himself of his wife, that wasn't part of the plan. What had he been playing at?’

       The silence in the room lengthened. Katherine continued to look at him with complete hatred.

       He took a breathe, ‘I hope...’

       'You hope what?’she spat back at him.

       'I hope that you take comfort in the fact that God will be merciful,’ Guy said lamely.

       She laughed, sardonically, ‘Well, I cannot take comfort in the fact that man has been.’She paused, ‘Or do I mean men?’

       She knew she was going too far now, she knew that the wisest thing was to be quiet, be subservient, not to make a fuss. But she was beyond being wise. She knew with bleak certainty that whatever was coming for her could not be stopped. And her fury at the killing of a child outweighed her instinct for self preservation.

       ‘Be careful Katherine,’Guy said slowly. Was it a warning, an admonition?

       She stood up. ‘ I think you will find, Sir Guy that my name is still Lady Katherine.’

       Guy lowered his head and sighed. His inclination told him to leave now, she was too angry for anything good to come from their meeting. But he had business to do here and he had to complete it. He looked up at her.

       ‘You are to come to Nottingham.’

        She raised her eyebrows and laughed out loud at him. ‘I am to what?’

        ‘To come to Nottingham ... it is an invitation.’

        She shook her head in disbelief and turned away from him so that he could not see how panic-stricken she felt. She waited a moment to calm herself and then replied, ‘Well, I am afraid I must decline. Now more than ever there must be continuity on the estate, I cannot just leave.’

        ‘It is only for a few days.’

        'I am sorry.’

         'The Sheriff will not be happy. You have declined two of his invitations.’

        She said nothing.

        ‘He will see it as a slight,’ Guy said moving to stand in front of her.

        ‘I cannot come.’

        They were left looking at each other, only feet apart. Guy felt as if they were in the middle of some long and complicated dance. He took a step nearer to her. ‘And I have been told not to return without you,’ he said and she did not miss the menacing tone in his voice. ‘You are to come with me now.'

        She held her ground, ‘I must politely decline again.‘

        He smiled slowly and she felt the panic rise again. Why was he smiling?

       'Then, Lady Katherine,’ he said, emphasising the Lady, ‘I am sorry to have to tell you that it actually more than an invitation.... You could call it a polite order.’

       She stared at him.

       ‘An order?’ she asked incredulously. ‘And when exactly did I take orders from the Sheriff of Nottingham or his ... servants?’

       Guy decided to ignore that insult and instead slowly removed one glove and reached into his jacket pocket. She watched him as if mesmerised. He retrieved a letter and handed it to her. She just stared down at it.

       ‘I would suggest you read it,’ he said and, returning to his chair, watched her as she did just that. She did not move or speak for a while.

       Finally she said, ‘You know what is in this letter?’

       ‘I do.’

       ‘Why would the Sheriff in Lincoln order me to attend Vasey's pleasure?’

       ‘They are old friends,’ lied Guy, ‘it is a favour.’

       ‘In return for what?’

      ‘Oh ... the right to hunt on some of Vasey's land, an agreement to act together to combat lawlessness, that kind of thing. You need not concern yourself with the details. All that is important is that he has requested you attend Vasey's feast.’

        He rose then and walked directly over to her. ‘Of course you could refuse his request, but that might make him wonder about your allegiances now that Sir John is dead.’

        Katherine closed her eyes in the hope that when she opened them again Guy, the letter, everything would have disappeared.

        She opened them again to find herself staring straight into those grey eyes. She could see the longing in them.

        ‘You have what you want then Sir Guy,’ she said bitterly.

        He smiled and lowered his head just a fraction so that he was looking up through his lashes at her. ‘Almost, Katherine,’ he said, ‘ almost.’

         She started to walk towards the door, ‘You will have to wait, it will take me some time to prepare for the journey. I am allowed to bring my maid and a servant? ‘

         ‘Of course,’ he said, his tone kind. 'Anything that makes you feel at ease. This is a visit for pleasure, after all.’

         She said nothing, just wrenched the door open, slipped through it and then slammed it behind her.