Chapter Two

~Day One~

Jake and I were startled awake the next morning to a banging on the door. I groaned and put my pillow on the top of my head. I heard Jake chuckle next to me and roll on his back, stretching.

"Come on you two!" Macy yelled. "We found a bed and breakfast down the road! We wanna go eat! Get dressed!"

I sighed and rolled out of bed, throwing my pillow on Jake in the process. Jake laughed and put my pillow back in it's place while sitting up. I pulled some clothes out of my bag and let Jake take the bathroom first this time. I waited until he closed the door of the bathroom and I got dressed and threw my hair up into a ponytail. I took my turn in the bathroom after Jake and once I was done, we left.

It didn't take long to get to the bed and breakfast. In fact, only took about ten minutes. It didn't take long for us to get seated either. We sat down and ordered.

"So," Jake began. My attention quickly turned from Miriam and Macy's conversation about some girls in our schoo, to Jake.

"How did you sleep last night?"

"Fine." I replied, nodding. "You?"

"Pretty good. I feel kind of out of place with the couples and us being the only single people...you know?"

What brought this conversation on? Was he just thinking about it, or what? I guess it didn't matter, it was just a conversation.

"I guess I kind of do." I replied.

"Do you think it was planned?" He asked quickly.

I  played with the rim of my orange juice glass. Did I think it was planned? For us to get together? Miriam had been complaining lately that I didn't have a boyfriend... I think she even mentioned Jake once.

"What do you mean?" I asked finally. I wanted to know what his position was on this situation. If he was thinking the same thing as I was.

"Like," he paused and leaded forward in his seat, "do you think Miriam and Patrick and them set us up to get together?"

I stopped circling the rim of my orange juice glass and thought a moment. So he was thinking the same thing as I was. It didn't seem like it couldn't be true. I'm sure Miriam had this plan in her head once she brought up the idea of coming to the beach for our spring break. I started circling the rim of my glass again.

"Probably. But who cares?" I stated.

He let out a snuff of air, chuckling slightly. What was so funny about that?

"Yeah. We probably won't get together anyway." He said, leaning back in his chair again.

I stopped again, looked up at him, and raised an eyebrow. I know he didn't mean it like that, but I wasn't about to let him realize that just yet.

"I don't mean it in a bad way! It's just one of those thing that...I don't know how to explain it." He said hurriedly. I laughed. His reaction to me was priceless.

"I get it." I said. He laughed nervously and took a drink of his own orange juice.

I took a moment to look over his features. He was muscular and he wore a lot of Hollister and Ambercrombie, which I just realized. Of course, I didn't care what clothes he was wearing, it was just interesting. He had short, spiked hair that was blonde. he was actually really cute.

We all finished eating and started trying to decide what to do that day. I wasn't really much up for anything, but I didn't say anything. I just went with the flow.

"Why don't we just spend today on the beach? We did take a...what? Seventeen hour drive to get here last night." Patrick suggested. He had to be exaggerating. We didn't drive seventeen hours...did we?