Chapter 14::

Chapter 14:

It's the next day when I catch wind of the rumors spreading around the tracks. I don't believe it at first. Rumors are started by haters, spread by fools and accepted by idiots. But when I see that his presence is lacking, I can't help but question if there's any truth in the gossip.

I'm already a ball of nervous energy for Championships as is. I can't deal with news on a nerve-racking day like this too. I mean, he's my friend. He can't just be gone.

I go to the one who always seems to know everything, especially when it comes to JT's personal life, Grey Ferrot. "Where's JT?" I ask him, not bothering to first beat around the bush. This is Grey I'm talking to, he gets me.

"He's around here somewhere." Grey answers, putting an immediate stop to all the crazy rumors going around like a wild fire.

I place a hand over my heart in relief, "Oh thank goodness!" I exclaim, "Everyone was saying that he pulled out of Championships last minute."

I'm so stupid to think he'd pull out of Championships on the very day of Championships. If he were to drop out, he'd have done it ages ago.

"He did." Grey answers flatly, not looking at all happy about it.

Shocked, I go silent. "What?" I finally manage to sputter out.

"Maybe you should talk to him yourself." Grey advises before gently nudging me in the direction of JT.

JT, in the midst of answering questions, happens to spot me. He leaves his crowds of fans before making his way over to me.

"Why did you pull out?" I ask, the first words coming out of my mouth on impulse. He always kicks ass in Championships. He's in the process of making a name for himself as a pro racer. He could make a career out of this. I just can't see why he'd give all that up (the fame, the fortune, the fans etc.) for nothing.

He smiles down at me, "After talking to you yesterday, I realized that I've been stuck in a rut - a dead end - since she left. I'm tired of feeling like sh*t all the time. I don't want that for my life. I gave you advice, advice that I now plan on following. I only have one shot at living and so now, I'm going to make the very best of it."

It's then I notice the red backpack strapped over one of his shoulders.

"So what does that entail for you?" I question, needing to see where he's taking this. What is his goal here? What is he hoping to achieve, because it's certainly not to be a professional racer.

"A new start, I guess." He answers before taking the time to explain himself, "I'm going to get my life back in order. I'm going to take some time off to readjust and see life from a fresh perspective."

"What are you saying?" I press for answers.

He has nothing anymore, except for his dreams.

He gestures to his backpack, "I think it's time I take that world trip I was talking about. I'm going backpacking. That consists of venturing the world, exploring the unknown and maybe even endeavoring my help in the Third World."

A smile escapes from my lips, "That's great!" I cheer him on for his efforts, "I'm so happy for you right now!" I say, practically ready to launch off the ground in joy. If anyone can pull this off, he can. "How long are you going for?"