Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Four years ago...

Xavier's POV:

"Hey, idiot!" someone calls out to me in a frantic rage. "Come here before I drag you over here myself!"

I turn to see 'Ruthless Racer' directing his words solely at me. Landon Kitler is known for his short temper and I really don't feel like being at the end of it.

"What do you want?" I ask hesitantly, careful not tread on any dangerous grounds. Usually, I'm always down for trouble but tonight, I'll take a pass.

"Don't talk to Emma again," he warns, his green eyes flaring up in fury as if I'd wronged him in some kind of way.

"I didn't know she was taken," I admit, putting the pieces of the puzzle together. I can't say that I'm not disappointed. Still, I won't back down until I see a ring on her finger.

Landon frowns in disgust at my assumption. "She's my sister, dumbass," he corrects me.

I grin at the news, hopeful again. 

"You mean to say that the lovely Emma is single?" I take my chances in pestering him further. I've had experience with overprotective brothers before. Landon is no different. Actually, considering that he attends anger management classes, maybe he is different.

"She'll stay single if I have anything to do with it," Landon threatens me, not caring enough to be discreet about it either.

"Sure. You got it," I humor him, pretending to comply with his terms. In truth, I really don't give a damn about what he thinks. I just don't want him to mess up my face. My face is my pride. I know when to back down from a fight.

"Good. Then we have reached an understanding," Landon grits out, leaving me unscathed. If I'd said anything more, he would have kicked my ass, no doubt.

Once Landon is out of sight, my gaze strays back to his little sister again. I can't help that she's hot as hell.

My temper spikes when I spot her cozying up to my racing rival, JT. He seems uninterested, as usual, but Emma has a giddy smile on her face. She may be single but it's clear that she's not planning on staying single for long. 

I don't know how JT does it. He doesn't even try. He just scores all the finest chicks in town by barely speaking to any of them. He doesn't even care that he has them falling at his feet. Everything always seems to come so easy to him and I hate him for it.

Why can't Landon kick his ass?

"Landon's sister your latest conquest?"

"I don't remember it being any of your business, Grey," I mutter, barely sparing him a glance. 

Grey shrugs. "Funny, I don't remember Emma being any of your business either."

"Yet," I remark, correcting the smart ass. I don't give up easily.

Grey follows my gaze, his eyes landing on his good buddy, JT. He lets out a humorless chuckle when he realizes what's going on in my head. "You shouldn't worry so much. JT's had his eyes set on someone else for years. If he wanted Emma, she would already be his. He's waiting for someone else," he says knowingly as he lights up a cigarette.

I narrow my eyes at him. He's usually a laid-back guy, so long as you don't annoy the hell out of him. "You need to learn to stay out of everyone's business." He always seems to know everything. I don't hate his guts but I'm not exactly fond of him either. 

"I will," he nods, agreeing, "when you learn to go after what you want," he motions over to Emma as if actually encouraging me to go for it.

"Since when are we friends?" I question, skeptical of his motives.

"Slow down. We're not," he clarifies. "You just look so pathetic. I'm only helping you out of charity."

I throw him the middle finger over my shoulder as I confidently make my way to Emma in order to win her over.

As always, she shoots me down. 

And, as always, I grin about it and pretend that it doesn't hurt.