Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The present

Emma's POV:

"I don't think I'll ever get used to this palace," I say as soon as we step into his mansion. I've been here before but I tend to forget just how rich Xave is because he doesn't mention his wealth often. 

I never agreed to Xave's date. As a compromise, he forced me into at least hanging out with him for the day. I couldn't say 'no' yet again.

"It's not a palace," Xavier chuckles, amused by my reaction. "Although, it might as well be." 

I follow Xavier into the kitchen, still glancing around in awe. "You must get lonely. This house feels so empty," I remark casually, initiating conversation. Out of everything in this mansion, that's what first comes to mind.

I'm not used to riches. Landon had to make a honest living for us as a car mechanic. He's talented at what he does and he enjoys it but he's never brought in a lot of income. The point being, I'm used to warm and cozy, not this, not fancy and spacious. Everything, for me at least, feels so out of place in this house.

"Hence why you're here," Xavier smirks. I've come to learn that he always hides behind his teasing and flirting. He's quick to change the subject, an indication that he's uncomfortable with the current one, "You hungry?"

Xavier's one of the strongest people I know. In spite of him barely ever seeing his parents, he doesn't let any of it affect him. He covers up his issues with a mask in order to appear 'fine' in front of everyone else. He doesn't want his weaknesses to be exposed in fear of them being exploited.

"No, thanks. I'm alright for now," I answer, choosing to drop the subject, for his sake. I don't like to push people for answers.

"You sure?" he asks with a raised eyebrow. "I'll even throw in a donut, just for you," he smiles, his dark eyes shimmering under the bright kitchen lights.

I don't waver, "You know that I'm really not that fond of donuts, right? I just used it as an excuse to get away from you."

It's about time I told him the truth.

"You sure?" Xavier questions teasingly. "I could have sworn that donuts were your favorite pastime snack," he remarks in sarcasm.

"Ha, ha," I retort, unimpressed. I can get sarcastic too if I want. "You're so annoying," I frown, crossing my arms over my chest as I watch him make himself a sandwich to eat. Honestly, it surprises me. Xavier has maids that work for his parents, maids that have seemed to keep him alive over the years, but it's almost as if he could care less. He never uses them.

The butlers and chefs are all subjected to Xave's will too. However, every time I visit, Xavier does everything for himself. He doesn't have to but he does. He chooses to do things himself. He doesn't force the workers to do his bidding. In actual fact, he treats them all with the highest of respect. He never takes advantage of them.

I have to admit, I admire this side to Xavier.

"You know..." I start off warily, "you seem to treat the people under you with a lot of kindness and compassion," I point out, patiently waiting to see his reaction.