Chapter 49 - Accused.

Start from the beginning

“Thank you Mrs. McCartney. We understand that this is a difficult and delicate matter.”

There’s just one thing I don’t understand though?”

“What’s that?”

“If Paul was supposed to be his father, why kill him?”

“The young man has stated that he intended to kill your husband so that your children learnt to live how he had, without a father. He also said he though about hurting you too so that they would have to go into care as he had. However, apparently seeing you at your husband’s funeral gave him a change of heart instead.”

Michelle shook her head. “So what now?”

“We need to see if we can prove if your husband was his father.”

“What if he was? Doesn’t that still mean he’s charged with murder? He planned to kill him!”

“Mrs. McCartney, the charges don’t alter but it is important that we establish the motive.”

“What about doing DNA test to prove one way or another?”

“In order to do that Mrs. McCartney we would require a DNA sample from someone very close to your husband who would share the same family link.”

“What about my children? They would.”

“Unfortunately that would be contentious in court as, and I apologise for suggesting this, the defense could easily suggest that your husband was not the father of your children, I’m sorry. Is there anyone else?”

“Paul has a brother. Would that be a close enough link?”

“Yes.”

“So could the tests be arranged then?”

“In order to fulfill the requirements of the court, all DNA would need to be collected at the same time at the same place. Would your brother in law be able to do that?”

Mike arrived back in London just two days later. He greeted Michelle warmly and took a welcomed cup of tea from Rose.

“How are you?”

Michelle shrugged, fighting back tears. “Confused. Upset. What happens if this kid turns out to be Paul’s son? What do I tell the children?”

“Have you explained what’s going on to them?”

“No …they’re just beginning to be ‘normal’ again, especially Michael. I don’t want to take that from them again. I don’t want to taint the memories of their dad.”

“They need to know Michelle. Tell them tonight. Please.”

Kathryn and James arrived home first. Michelle was surprised when Alice wasn’t with them.

“She needed to do some work in the library mum.” explained Kathryn, “she told me at lunchtime. She said she’d ring when she was leaving.”

About an hour later the phone rang. Michelle answered it to find Alice on the end of the phone, clearly distressed.

“Talk to me Alice! What’s wrong?”

“Mum. Come and get me please! I’m scared!”

“Alice, what’s happened?”

“I was followed. This bloke kept saying horrible things about you and dad. He kept saying that he’s not our dad. Mum ….” Alice broke down sobbing.

“Alice, listen to me. Alice, where are you?”

After finally getting the location Mike and Michelle went to find her. She was sat in the waiting room of the nearby doctor’s surgery, having taken sanctuary there when the stranger scared her. She was much calmer but still very shaken. Michelle led her into the kitchen and sat her down. She sat next to her and held her close, feeling her shaking. As she calmed Rose handed her a hot drink. Her brothers and sister sat opposite, looking worried.