Chapter 23 - Balancing Act.

Start from the beginning

He looked at Helen, confused by the statement. "What does she mean?"

Helen approached Michelle slowly. "Why are you scared Michelle? If you tell me then we could sort out the problem."

Michelle looked to Paul for reassurance. "Go on love," he urged. "Please."

Michelle sighed. She looked at the floor and wouldn't make eye contact with the doctor. "When I was tied up ....I thought I was going to be punished or hurt. I was so scared I got more...." Her voice tailed away. She looked quickly at Paul and he gave her a soft smile.

"What do you mean? Tied up love?"

"Ask her." Michelle whispered, glancing swiftly at Helen.

He looked to Helen.

"When Michelle attacked a member of staff yesterday, she was restrained. Firstly she was held and made to calm down, as is the hospital protocol. However if that fails or the person is deemed to be a danger to self or others then we use a quick release tie which is used to restrain hands or feet. Yesterday Michelle's hands were tied however, as soon as she indicated to me the link between that and some of the things her violent spouse did to her, she was released."

"Is that right Michelle?" Paul looked at her.

She nodded "I was so frightened. I decided to stay quiet from now on – that way I hoped I wouldn't get punished like that again." She began to cry. "Please, I want to go home...Paul, take me home. Don't leave me here anymore!"

"Michelle, look at me."

Helen spoke gently to her. Michelle slowly raised her eyes to her. Helen saw the fear and an uncertainty she had never seen in her before.

"Thank You. I want to make a promise to you. Yesterday we made a mistake in how we dealt with you because of the way we restrained you and the association that has for you. We didn't know those details and I am sorry for the distress we caused you. I promise that we will never restrain you that way again unless we have no other course of action. I have already written this into your notes and your care plan. It will not happen again Michelle. I give you my word."

"How does that sound love?" Paul asked, smiling softly at her.

"Thank you."

"Could you make me a promise then Michelle?" Helen continued.

"I...I don't know."

"If you promise to work with me, talk to me and explain how you're feeling when I need you to then, after two weeks, I will let Paul take you out for a few hours break from this place. How does that sound?"

"How about that Michelle? How great would that be? That would give us both something to look forward to!"

Smiling at Paul's enthusiasm, she nodded. "I promise."

He hugged her. "Thank you," he whispered, "I can't wait to have you home!"

Michelle smiled and hugged him back. Aware of a signal from Helen, he looked at his watch. "I'm  sorry my love, but I'm going to need to leave. Helen and her team need me out of the way! Today I'm meeting with George Martin to discuss a project he's interested in doing with me. You know what he's like if you're late for things with him! You don't mind if I go now do you?"

"I suppose not," she said, her face showing her disappointment, "Say hello to George for me."

"I will," he said kissing her softly on the head. "Are you sure you're Ok about me leaving now?" he whispered.

She nodded.

"Nothing else worrying you?"

"I don't think so."

"Then I'll go and I'll see you soon." He forced a smile on his face as he saw her eyes fill with tears.  "Oh don't cry baby! Maybe Helen will let me ring you sometime?"

"Would you like that Michelle? To talk to Paul on the phone?"

"Very much."

"Then in a few days, we can ring Paul together to tell him how well you're doing and how you're improving. OK?"

Paul said his good byes and then left. Michelle sat and waiting for Helen to return.

"How are you feeling now Michelle?"

"Ok...thank you."

Helen looked at her. "Do you think we can still work together as well as before? I am very sorry about what happened yesterday you know."

Michelle managed a smile. "I'd like to... but..." she stopped.

"But what Michelle?"

" I don't know if I should say this but want Sue as my first contact. Not after what happened. She didn't listen to what I trying to tell her."

"That can be sorted out if you're sure. Wait a day or two and then make a decision. Agreed?"

Again Michelle nodded.

"Right, I've asked for some drinks and some food to be sent through to you. I'll leave you in peace to eat and then, if you feel up to it, we can start another session?"

"Thank you."